Galaxies Edge Universe inspired wall decor

I designed this sign with inspiration from the Star Wars Universe, specifically Disney’s Galaxies Edge addition to their Hollywood studios theme park. My goal was to create a sign that appeared to be constructed of multiple forms of media as one would find in the Star Wars universe (ie: metals, plastics, wood, etc etc.) I am completely satisfied with how this piece turned out. The ENTIRE sign consists of ONLY baltic birch plywood. Hope you all enjoy this piece! :slight_smile:

58 Likes

Really nice job. Your paint patina technique is very impressive.

7 Likes

Well thank you! I appreciate that. I don’t see myself as professional by any means but I have found a few loop holes in the painting process that really give it that realistic factor. Dry brushing on some paint washes, even homemade washes, really make a difference. It is mostly just hours of dry brushing over and over again to achieve the various layers.

6 Likes

I love it!! Great job!

4 Likes

Those bolts had me completely fooled. Nice work.

6 Likes

Quite a surprise to read that this was made completely from plywood. Fantastic manipulation of the material.

4 Likes

Great coloring on that. The hardware fooled me too!

5 Likes

That is quite impressive. Great job!

3 Likes

What does it say???

Jonathan

3 Likes

You did an amazing job on this, hard to believe this is only baltic birch! Wonderful.

2 Likes

Those “bolts” qualify as Greeblies… I love it!

3 Likes

The individual letters are all mirrored, but they spell out:

WARNING
ALL VISITORS MUST HA(?)E
IDENTIFICATION CARDS
ORDINACE CODE OGA

Guessing that the hexagon on the second line is supposed to be the letter “V” or a blinking cursor of some sort?

3 Likes

Wow! Cool! Great painting. Can you explain what dry brushing is? Is that apply the paint then go over it with dry brushes?

2 Likes

That is correct, the V in “have” looked off,
So I decided to use a piece of scrap that I had and fit it in there. The sign would have been one positioned outside of Ogas Cantina.

2 Likes

Dry brushing is a technique where you apply a VERY SMALL amount of paint to the tip of the brush and then brush it on a paper towel until there is almost none left, then go over the project with that minute amount of paint. It takes hours but the results are fantastic.

4 Likes

Interesting! Thanks. Sounds like a youtube search is in order…

2 Likes

What an awesome look you’ve made with the different finishes. This piece really comes together great as a whole!

2 Likes

Gee, there’s no need for a personal attack… Oh… Never mind… I read that wrong.

Carry on!

1 Like

Fantastic finished job on that. The aged metal look is amazing!

1 Like

Very cool!