Game Board: Devil's Triangle

My dad and I used to play this game for hours back in the day. I recently came across our old board but, as will happen over time, some of the pieces had gone missing. I could have just gone online and ordered a new set, but what’s the point of a laser if you’re not going to use it to solve problems?

In hindsight, I might have been better off making one of the two sets of pieces with the walnut for better contrast (and I probably will make another one eventually that does just that) but I think it came out really nice.

Fun fact: I spent way more time than I want to admit making sure the grain on all of those pieces was oriented the same way for all of the layers. Totally worth it.

87 Likes

Looks like a “better than professional” job! Fantastic! :grinning:

6 Likes

Fan-effing-tastic!

Did you cut out the shapes and inlay them into shallow engraves? Or… Some other bit of cleverness?

2 Likes

This is fantastic. Just beautiful work.

2 Likes

No, but that’s a thought for a follow-up. The pieces are made of a 3 layer stack of one solid triangle sandwiched between two hollow border triangles. The surface of the board is two layers, with the grid section removed from the top layer to allow the game pieces to fit in. The grid made for an excellent jig to align everything for glue-up.

11 Likes

Beautiful project! Top Marks!

2 Likes

Truly gorgeous design and execution!!

1 Like

See, I knew you were going to do cool things. I’m really glad you finally got your laser!

2 Likes

Is there any other way to do it?

4 Likes

That is really beautiful. It looks more like art than a board game.

2 Likes

I guess someone could just align them whichever way they picked them up with no consideration of grain, but honestly I don’t need that sort of negativity in my life.

7 Likes

That way lies madness. Better to avoid it.

2 Likes

Very, very nice! Love the attention to detail

1 Like

Added in the markers on the sides. It’s the little details that make the difference

20 Likes

And of course, to make sure we don’t lose pieces again, a nice sturdy box was required

33 Likes

Just keeps getting better!

2 Likes

That is gorgeous!

3 Likes

Wow…thats top notch high quality stuff right there!! :heart_eyes:
You are truly out doing yourself!!

3 Likes

Your attention to detail shines through. The case is just as awesome as the board itself!

1 Like

Thanks, everyone. I’m really proud of how it turned out. Now to figure out my next project!

4 Likes