Gaskets for car use

Working on my Ford crossflow powered kit car (circa 1990) I needed new gaskets for the water pump and thermostat housing. What better way to ensure repeatable and accurate shapes than to create the artwork in Illustrator then cut them from gasket paper on the Glowforge? After a test with regular paper versions to ensure everything was accurate, it took no more than 2 minutes on the 'forge.

43 Likes

Should be under Practical Cuts as well!

7 Likes

And cheaper. What kind of kit car?

3 Likes

Great! I love the quick fixes we can handle with the Glowforge.

4 Likes

Awesome! I made a gasket for a boat thermostat today on mine, forgot to take pictures of the finished project though.

5 Likes

It’s so easy isn’t it! What boat do you have?

I’ve got a Westfield SE, it’s a replica of the Lotus 7.

1 Like

I didn’t know about that section - let me work out how to link it.

I bet that’s fun. I have been thinking about a Cobra replica. My brother in law has a NOS (new old stock) 427 side oiler still in the crate.

2 Likes

It is, although I do spent a lot of time tinkering. What’s to think about? If a Cobra rep is within your grasp, especially with a 427, you should definitely build it!

Although?

You make it sound like a negative…

2 Likes

My wife told me I could build one after I retired… that was ten years ago :rofl: :rofl:
I’m honestly so busy that I would have to give up one or more of my other activities. I’m often up 18+ hours a day (but I’m having a blast and rocking’ retirement)

5 Likes

I would need a place for a power chair. Perhaps I could get a kit to make the power chair look like a lotus? Maybe just the flower?

1 Like

Smart. Nice use of the :glowforge:

1 Like

A power chair would be A) cheaper B) more comfortable C) cheaper

2 Likes

What gasket material are you guys using. I’ve only just now started digging into it and can’t convince myself that the stuff I’m looking at is laser safe.

Hello Greg,
It’s regular gasket paper from a motor factors, I’ve had it for ten years or so. It’s about 0.8mm thick, heavy almost oily in texture and it cut very well, hardly any smoke and very clean.

2 Likes

What fun times we live in — except for the COVID matter.

It’s very surreal thinking that I might replace a gasket making hammer with a laser!!

3 Likes