Gathering Materials to Laser

My wife and I have been on the road all day checking out multiple local suppliers of materials for the Glowforge.

The first stop was to a local plastics suppler to see if they had any scrap or remnants of acrylic. Unfortunately, there shop was closed, other than a couple sales people, so we could not look in their scrap bin. The sales rep took my name and information, told me there may be something available in the near future and gave me some samples of the materials they sell in 4’ by 8’ sheets. No extra cost to have them cut down, but that’s really a lot of acrylic.

The sample near the top right are cast acrylic and the lower left are extruded mirrored acrylic.

Next we stopped an Tandy Leather and found their vegetable tanned quarter hides and belly hides were on sale for 50% off. We purchase 4 belly hides ranging in length from 4.5’ to almost 6’, rivets, 3 colors of dye, and finish. These should make lots of really nice items on the laser.

Next we visited two different limber mills and picked up the following items.

I now feel like I’ve got a good stock of supplies so I’ll be ready to start making the projects I’ve been planning.

Hope everyone else has had a wonderful St. Patrick’s Day :four_leaf_clover: I know we have.

46 Likes

Time well spent :sunglasses:

5 Likes

No it’s not :slightly_smiling_face: You’ll be amazed at how much you’ll use once you have a laser.

4 Likes

I know you would love to have your glowforge but I’d love to have that kind of material resources here.

2 Likes

I’m sure you’re right.

It is nice to have access to supplers of materials like these.

Good call… I just figured I’d run to Lowes or Hobby Lobby or something for material… never thought to look for suppliers in the area. Gonna have to do that in the next few months to stock-up as well. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes