Gear Box Toothbrush Holder

Or any kind of brushes or tools really. I was just thinking this would give the kids something to play with while they brush…maybe keep them brushing longer? (Who knows? It kind of looks like something from a Steampunk Con with the dental tools in it.) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And the little gears (which were fun to design) work on the front and back side, so they can brush and fiddle with something for a while.

This one also started out with a video that got creamed by Discourse, but Bailey had shot one for Instagram a while ago, so it can be seen in action here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXTSfjjndFs/

(The gears are a great thing to print in all of those little unused spots between other prints too, to keep from wasting material. I’ve got bags of little gears from finishing up a bunch of PG.) :grinning:

(Last new design for a bit…got some other stuff to do that I’ve been putting off for too long now. I think I might take a shot at some acrylic stuff next - I got all these beautiful sheets of colored PG and haven’t decided what to do with them yet. Ideas are welcome.)

76 Likes

Oooooh very cool!!

1 Like

Love the idea of working gears on a box, and it’s still got your signature elegance!

Ideas for colored acrylic:
cement together in stained glass patterns
Slumped bowls
Combine the above.

5 Likes

Love your design but just had a thought!
Wouldn’t it be cool/fun to have the gears connect around the corners. Then, while turning the ones facing you you’d see the one ons the other side turn in the mirror.

9 Likes

I really like that, it would be appropriate on any (mechanical) engineers desk to hold “stuff”

It would mostly just get played with though. I call those kinds of things, along with puzzles, etc. “engineer traps”

9 Likes

Oh, the video isn’t working for me?

2 Likes

Next box. This one actually started out as an octagonal design, with the gears meshing around the corners, but it turned out to be a bit large. :neutral_face:

So I cut it down a bit. Sacrificed those corner turns. (I’ll work on something else later - got piles of gears.)

3 Likes

My first thought exactly… great minds… ooh aah!

1 Like

Cool! So how do you do the hubs? Just the offcut glued to the base and then a slightly wider bit glued on top?

2 Likes

Yep! Turns out the PG splits very well with a pair of wire cutters. (Large pair.)

Little sanding and you’ve got a nice cap to glue on.

4 Likes

Great idea! Love the combination of woods contrasting on each gear, and the different spokes.

1 Like

Where do you go to generate the gear designs? I LOVE steampunk and I have a good piece of the Maple hardwood that is ready to be scrapped. Gears of all sizes would do well in the last bits of “space”

2 Likes

Stop it, Jules! It’s too good.

1 Like

I created them in Illustrator using blanks from McMaster Carr. (So they are actually interchangeable with real gears. If you should happen to find a need for wooden gears.) :thinking:

10 Likes

Well this is just fun!! :smiley:

3 Likes

@Jules - is it possible to get the video fixed? I want to share this on social media and I bet it’s even more impressive when you can see it in action.

3 Likes

the video works for me

Really?? It just looks like this for me, and clicking the play button does nothing. Hmm. Anyone else?

1 Like

Looks like that for me in Chrome, but it works in Edge.

I’m using Firefox, in case that helps.