Geek Wedding Gifts

Thanks! How is the foil used? It says that the adhesive is permanent, so it doesn’t sound like you stick the foil on the material, cut/engrave it on the material, then remove the excess. Just curious before I take the plunge!

“Permanent” adhesives when talking about foils and films are usually referenced against “repositionable” adhesives. Repositionable would mean you could apply it, lift it if you made a mistake, and reapply, and it would stay put for the life of the material because this wouldnt degrade the adhesive.

Permanent means you get one shot at application, once it makes contact that is where it stays because if you lift it up, the adhesive will not bond properly when placed back down.

3 Likes

Actually, that’s exactly what you do. They say you want to remove the excess immediately after engraving. That the longer it stays on the material, the more it bonds. So that’s what I did. It was really easy to get the excess off. At least on the wood. Now, this was only my 1st attempt at using this stuff. So I might recommend scoring rather than engraving. Since your only real goal is cutting the foil, it’d be a billion times faster. And that’s actually what I did. But I hadn’t tested my design, so I see I had a double-line thing going on which resulted in much darker, thicker lines than I’d intended. But after looking at it, I decided it was a happy mistake. The thick black outline really helps make the gold stand apart from the wood color in my opinion.

6 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. This is definitely going on my to-do list!

2 Likes

Here’s a video showing both engraving and scoring. It’s been posted before, but ties in here, so I thought I’d share again.

16 Likes

Those are beautiful!!

Thank you a hundred times!!! Do you use the laser foil from Johnson Plastics? What all have you made since then with laser foil? Thank you!