Geometric beast

A couple of stats: 360 faces, 540 connectors, 2.5 hours of weeding, two sore thumbs, a terrible case of laserfingers, and all my patience later:

Bonus shadows on the walls and ceiling from the red light:

EDIT: one more:

141 Likes

Truly Amazing!

1 Like

Mind boggling. I can’t even begin to envision how that is assembled.

2 Likes

S l o w l y. :wink:

10 Likes

Wow, it not only looks stunning, but the reflections on the wall are astonishing too!

2 Likes

Totally breathtaking !!!:star_struck:

1 Like

Awesome… I wonder how it’d look in acrylic.

6 Likes

It’d be cool I’m sure but my poor fingers need a break :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Holy smokes! What a labor of love. To me it looks kind of Moorish in style.

1 Like

Looks like a giant diatom. In a geometric organic way. Very cool!

2 Likes

Funny you mention diatoms. I’ve been making geometric things like this for a few years, first with cardstock on my cricut, and now with ply. I’ve always called them “creatures” for that reason. :slight_smile:

Embrace the pain!

Actually figured you’d say that, I just wanted to put ideas in your head and see how long it’d take before you gave in and did it anyway. Because I think it’d look awesome.

1 Like

I though about making only the connectors clear, but decided against it, due to scale. I wasn’t sure acrylic would have enough flex to handle the build process.

As it stands this took 2.5 very tightly packed (probably 95% +/- usage) sheets of birch ply. I’m not sure I have enough acrylic laying around to even make just the connectors, which were one full sheet by themselves.

1 Like

There was a discussion of what to cut out of all the tiny pieces of scrap after a few months of making other things and that would certainly be a winner! A finger saving alternative is to put all the pieces in a box and tell the kids it is a new puzzle :slight_smile: or sell them as a puzzle with “some assembly required” really stunning result. mirror, as well as colored acrylic, would be amazing.

4 Likes

…I decided a no mask, smoke-enhanced look is a valid artistic choice.

Amazing work.

5 Likes

I am blown away! Crazy that it took you that long to weed everything, but seeing all of the pieces, I guess that’s about right. Just go at it with some picks?

1 Like

I found that just rolling my thumbs over the corners would lift it up and let me peel it. There was just … hmm 540 + 360 pieces times 2 faces = 1800 pieces of masking to remove, more or less. Fiddly, mind-numbing work. Normally I wouldn’t mask, and go with the natural look, but this is my hero model, and I’ll likely take proper pictures of it at some point if I decide to sell them as a kit. I knew it would be a long build, so I only wanted to do it once, and thus, masking. Eesh.

4 Likes

If you do decide to sell the plans I’d be interested in grabbing them up. If only to make it in acrylic for the oohs and aaahs.

3 Likes

WOW… Just…WOW

1 Like

I guess it might depend a lot on what the masking was but those roller things for cleaning dog hair off of couches might make a decent weed eater or you could build something like it that would