Get rid of smell and smoke

2 Likes

Oh that! thats a good point. I’ll try to put foam there.

2 Likes

yeah if that spot isnt sealed and the wind is blowing towards that window it will fill up your room pretty quickly

1 Like

I’ll give that a shot. Hopefully thats the issue. But who even knows.

1 Like

Well, here’s what I did…

This setup shows the machine set up with an external rubber port on the back, the blue hose shown is much sturdier, and there is a quick connect port attached to an acrylic panel permanently installed in the window. I can just pull that quick connect off and it’s detached from the external port. Literally takes a few seconds, and the rubber gaskets in the ports are air tight without having to use tape. (You use worm clamps to “semi-permanently” attach the ports.)

The hose and ports are from the Rockler Dust Right quick connect system…and I don’t have any smells at all. (Until I open the lid.)

They’re a good investment for these machines and about $50-$60 for the whole kit out.

1 Like

I can give that a shot as well. Unfortunately I dont believe they have them at home depot. lol. Do you know of any alternatives? and perhaps a different hose brand as well?

No, I tried a couple of other ones, included the insulated ones for noise…the Rockler one is best. (And you can order it online.)

Alright! Hopefully theres quick shipping haha.

Can I buy the pieces seperatly? I dont need the second set lol

Yeah, just look around the site. I used a swivel port on the back of the machine which was extra, but if you’re not switching from venting outdoors to the filter, you don’t need it. (Don’t really need the quick connect either but it’s pretty cool. ) You need to tape off a port inside of the QC if you get it…it’s designed for vacuum suction and is adjustable.

That metal elbow leaks like a sieve unless you seal all of the seams in the elbow itself - it has gaps that allow you to swivel/rotate it. Foil HVAC tape will seal that up.

2 Likes

Not all good things cost extra money. I bought those quart bottles of V-8 and the cylinders with the ends cut off are the perfect size to fit the Glowforge.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you hit this snag.

When your Glowforge is properly set up, you may have some harmless odor during printing which will rapidly dissipate. You may also smell something when you open the Glowforge lid after a print is complete. This is not harmful.

However, if you detect a strong, sharp smell that also causes eyes, nose, or throat irritation, or if there is visible smoke escaping while the lid is closed, shut off your Glowforge unit immediately. Smoke and fumes could be entering the room in excessive concentrations.

We’ve created a troubleshooting guide with illustrations. You can see it here: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/troubleshooting/print#excessive-smoke-or-fumes-during-print

I’m glad to see that there have been a couple of great suggestions on this thread to add to your exhaust configuration.

I’ll move the discussion to to the Beyond the Manual so the discussion can continue there.

2 Likes

Theres no sort of irritation happening, just a potent smell of burning wood. when I cut/engrave wood.

1 Like

Oh duh! I totally forgot about those. Will seal them up.

2 Likes

Caulk works well too.

So I’ve redone my hose and sealed the window very well. Theres a lot less burning wood smell but there is still a noticable amount.

Is this normal or are the glowforge supposed to be totally odorless when operating and cutting/engraving?

Only when engraving tile :upside_down_face:

1 Like

So its normal that it gives off some odor when cutting/engraving other things?

If you ran a room air filter constantly that would remove all scents from everything you might not be able to detect your craft operation, but beyond that even knitting would have its tell tale odor. With no laser at all acrylic, wood and leather work also have their tell tale odors. Burn them a bit and you have added more smells. All that is very different from having a smoky haze through the house even at the level of an average cigarette smoker.

If you had a Vivosun constantly pumping air through the Glowforge and out the air-vent you might not have the smells of what you have previously cut leaking into the room when the Glowforge is not used at all. So the answer is yes odors are normal.

1 Like

Thank you!

2 Likes