Get rid of smell and smoke

any one come up with a DIY to get rid of smell and smoke build up from laser engraving on wood?

There have been discussions about this, but the main effective solution that cane of it was an ozone-based deodorizer. Not exactly diy, and not always a good plan for local air quality.

That being said, searching the forum for ozone will probably find it.

Here you go:

2 Likes

Do you mean get rid the smell on the individual item, get rid of the smell in the machine, or get rid of the general smell?

Smell on the item, I think something-something alcohol does a really good job. Someone remember what its called. Its not denatured and its not rubbing. Its… Something. If that doesn’t work well enough, I stick it in a zip lock bag with a bunch of baking soda. Fun fact, the latter Also works great for odors on paper and books*. I dont know if either of those things would be damaging to the wood, but meh, I like to live on the edge**.

Smell in the machine is kind of the same thing. I cleaned mine and noticed a huge improvement. When I’m not using it, I also stick a charcoal odor absorber thing inside it (like these, except I bought them for much less monies from Home Goods). I actually got them for moisture reasons before I had the whole venting thing figured out. I have no idea of they do anything really, but the first one ended up smelling like a campfire went to a bar, so I figure thats a good sign.

As for general odor in my office, I do a couple things. First, I tape everything from the machine to the window plus some extra stuff. Anything that might leak smoke smell got taped with evil metal tape. Its like sticky aluminum foil. I cut myself twice. Second, I get stuff out of my glowforge like a stealth ninja because of that puff of smoke thats hiding out under the material. Or, I just move the material and close the lid and wait for the smoke to settle. But mostly I stealth grab it with the door mostly closed and trap the smoke inside as best I can. I pretend I’m very efficient and making a huge difference. Third, scraps, waste, and the protective paper stuff (my brain is dead and cannot words tonight) all go in an airtight plastic tub. That makes a huge difference. Nothing that smells like smoke is just allowed to sit out. This includes things ive cut and haven’t cleaned up or finished yet. If something smells, it goes into quarantine. If I cut something tiny out of a full sheet, the full sheet goes in a container.

Even with all that, I would say my office has a faint smell on any given day. Its not a bad smell and it doesnt smell specifically smokey, but it also doesnt smell like nothing.

I cut acrylic once and only once. Wood smells just a jolly day of sunshine compared to the putrid death smell of acrylic. I’m happily avoiding everything else stinky. When I feel like my hands and clothes smell like wood smoke, I remind myself of acrylic and am thankful.

Overall, its not perfect, but its good enough that I can only smell the wood smoke smell in my office now while I’m working, even if the door is open. Before, I could start smelling it before I was even upstairs.

*this is not fun. Its barely a fact. Mostly its an opinion.

** this is a lie. I’m a rule follower and overly concerned with food safety.

9 Likes

Might try a wipe down with baby wipes. My insurance adjuster told me about using them to clean sooty items after I had a house fire. It worked!

1 Like

windex wipes (even home made ones, with ammonia) will remove the char from wood.

I added this 4” inline fan to the vent hose. This way I can keep the external fan on much longer than the Glowforge. I like some of these other ideas though about deodorizing and cleaning which I’m going to start doing too.

iPower 4 Inch 100 CFM Booster Fan… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CQBFOTS?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Andy.

2 Likes

A little concerned about this detail in the description -

The motor on the iPower booster fan is not enclosed and is not to be used in high humidity environments. Please purchase an iPower inline fan instead if you require this functionality.

The smoke, gunk and general debris coming out of the GF might be a problem, but regular cleaning might cope with that OK.
John :upside_down_face:

Quick solution:
To get rid of the smell on the wood (not the machine) I just tried VIP by air wick.

Then I wiped the wood with lemon scented furniture polish to make sure it didn’t mess up the quality of the wood.
Better that normal air fresheners and worked like a charm.

1 Like