Getting the hang of it

My Glowforge is two weeks old today! When I got her I’d had zero experience with any design software so this has been a steep learning curve for me. I am so proud of myself that I had to share a couple of creations I designed from scratch.

They are made on PG material which I am rapidly running out of, and I’m all the way up in Canada. So as an aside, if any Canadians know of good suppliers of 1/8 walnut, cherry or maple please let me know!

39 Likes

Wow those are beautiful great job, I am also a newbie trying to learn the ropes. I work at a library we are going to let customers come in to design projects as well.

5 Likes

Not sure about their prices as I have never ordered from them but Trotec has what you need:

https://www.engraving-supplies.ca

5 Likes

You are a fast study it seems as your designs are terrific. I concur about Trotec. I have ordered from them in the US and their products are excellent.

2 Likes

Thanks! I will look them up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Gosh, you’re doing a great job! It took me forever to get to the point you are at.

4 Likes

It’s so inspiring to see a new owner learning to design for themselves and you’re off to an awesome start. Kudos to you!

4 Likes

Also check KJP Hardwood in Ottawa.

3 Likes

I agree

2 Likes

Wow—-only 2 weeks!! Looking forward to seeing many more creations from you.

Welcome to the community!!

3 Likes

Well done! Keep on lasering on!

3 Likes

Those are spectacular!! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Lookin good!

1 Like

I’m impressed! I am a novice with design software as well. I’ve had my GF for 5 months and I have yet to do a design from scratch. My day will come. I promise.

1 Like

Very nice! I love the little plexiglass charms in them. I’ve yet to design anything myself, so am amazed that these came from a “novice.” Oh, and I just saw the wording on the elephant one - so very special! Great job!

3 Likes

I was in the same boat as you at the end of Jan when I got my Glowforge and it took me way longer than two weeks to make something as beautiful as these!

I am also in Canada and I have purchased from KJP and Trotec as others have recommended. They are both excellent and everything is perfectly flat. I also bought some birch plywood off Etsy which was good but not perfectly flat (used the bed tiedowns so it was fine) and it was quite smokey when cutting.

The craft plywood from KJP is beautiful, it is unfinished but requires little to no sanding, I got some rubio monocoat also from KJP to bring out the grain and it is absolutely amazing.

I got some bamboo plywood from Trotec and this came with the finish applied and is also super high quality. I will definitely be ordering from them again.

The birch plywood from Trotec is perfectly flat and contains no knots or voids whatsoever. It is quite lightweight and soft.

I did put an order together from the Glowforge shop for proofgrade materials, the price of shipping was more than the materials - over $120 US. This was prohibitive for me unfortunately :frowning:

One thing I haven’t found yet in Canada is 1/4 inch thick acrylic in anything other than clear. If anyone knows of suppliers of this I would love to hear recommendations!

2 Likes

Nice going! They look awesome.

2 Likes