GF cut bone?

Thank you so much for taking the time out to experiment with this and report back!

6 Likes

This is so cool! Reminds me of the ancient Roman dice and gaming pieces that have been found.

7 Likes

Very cool. Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

Awesome! I wonder how it would do with a tagua nut?

7 Likes

Definitely need to think about that for netsuke. (greatā€¦more ideasā€¦sigh!)

4 Likes

Oh ho ho this looks awesome! Maybe I shouldā€™ve bought some of those bone blanks!

2 Likes

Outstanding news. Iā€™ve been hoping to see how it looks and now I will be adding bone blanks to my list. The contrast is really nice,

1 Like

Bone drying DIY going to get a lot of hits from this thread :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

How long before we get folks asking how to field dress roadkill so they can get the raw materials? :smile:

7 Likes

Considering I purchased a very nice leather purse at a used clothing store this weekend for $3, just to get the leather. I thought my wife was going to kill me when she found me cutting it up :scream:

I guess roadkill is just the next step :wink:

14 Likes

Genius! Havenā€™t thought about a used clothing store as source of leather.

I picked up a used baby crib on Craigslist once. My parents were giving me crap that it wouldnā€™t be safe. Before I called the company to make sure it would be, I was thinking to myself, ā€œWow, this would be a great way to get really cheap cherry wood and other wood of the like!ā€

12 Likes

Just in case:

17 Likes

Nice, I used several of these tests when looking through the selection of used purses to find the leather I needed. The one test that did not work was the smell test. The previous owner of the purse was a smoker :mask:

5 Likes

Whoa! Good call on sharing thatā€¦canā€™t just go for any purse!

2 Likes

Yep, the first one I picked up looked great but as I started testing it didnā€™t take long to realize it was not leather.

2 Likes

Very useful. Thank you.

3 Likes

Nice tutorial, thanks for sharing! I obsessively visit our local thrift stores for leather coats and purses and also beautiful wool clothing. (I also have a thing for belts of all types tooā€¦) Iā€™ve picked up a few leather gems, but also was fooled a few times too. I pretty much learned anything made in China that was labeled as leather was likely to have a paper-thin ā€œleatherā€ veneer at best.

Now, donā€™t be like my husband and ask me to explain exactly what I will be doing with all my thrift store hoards. I donā€™t quite know yet, but Iā€™ll come up with something :wink: I found this beautiful wool jacket the other day and was all set to turn it into a purse. I tried it on at home only to find it fits and now I donā€™t want to cut it up lol.

7 Likes

Awesome! Iā€™ve been meaning to get some secondhand wool sweaters and turn them into tiny doll sweaters by putting them through the washer and dryer. Just for the fun of it.

3 Likes

Years ago I found this round rug made out of recycled leather belts I think on design*sponge. I thought it looked super cool and saved the picture, but never got around to finding the belts to recreate it!

Your jacket made me think of these pillows that I also saved a long time ago (and no longer remember where I found them):

18 Likes

Those pillows are awesome! I love that they left the buttons and lapels as part of the design. I use the old coats to make purses and try to use the ready-made pickets somehow. I really like these pillows though. Now even more excuse to hoard wool jackets. My husband thanks you (not really lol)

4 Likes