GF day one

I had prepared several designs in PDF format while I was waiting for the Glowforge to arrive. I was disappointed at how hard it was to convert the PDF designs into something that could be both cut and engraved in one attempt.

However, I managed to get these two cranked out. The first is a clock back in and although the machine visualized the surface before it began, it did print slightly off center. From a distance I don’t think it’s too noticeable.

The other is a picture frame. I was able to convince the machine that the etched in image was a new design to be cut. It definitely didn’t cut where I wanted it to, but the result is acceptable.

Practice, practice! I don’t have a lot of experience in the new were graphic design software, so if somebody has a quick tip on how to differentiate engrave lines cut lines, I’d appreciate it.

-Storm
[image|375x500]
[(upload://w2sev2anmD4RljmmvmOmJzqkWI5.jpeg)

21 Likes

Trick for cuts or engrave is color.
Make sure cuts are one color and engrave another.

There is also a color staging that sets the steps - 1st burn, 2nd, and so forth.
But for beginnings just be sure the cut segments are a different color than the engrave segments.
PDF or SVG both will work the same way in this regard.

3 Likes

Nice frame!

You can determine your machine’s alignment offset quite easily and make adjustments that while not perfect, will get you pretty close every time, using the following method. Or, you can use a jig.

2 Likes

Cute! :smile:

1 Like

Adorable frame! You will find that you learn something with each cut. It’s a fun process!

I’m still getting my sea legs for Inkscape, so I ended up doing a regular print-on-paper and tracing it with res and blue fine point sharpies. Then I just did a trace and it turned out great!

I ran a small graphic design department but that was fifteen years ago… not only the software interface but the lingo and the sheer number of setting options has my head spinning. This is nothing like the good ol’ days of PageMaker!

Thanks for all the tips ^^^

10 Likes

Two great looking projects! :grinning: