Gilding the Lily

Yesterday was my Cakeday (first anniversary of membership), and this month my cat will turn 16. To celebrate, I engraved some veneer (species unknown) that has 3M adhesive on the back. I gave them all 0.05" stand-off distance on the cuts. With this veneer, I decorated my Pocket Wheel (my 2nd favorite one) with cats and YARN!

On the wheel itself, there are 6 separate cat shapes, repeated once in a mirror cut; and one cat-in-a-box, a mouse, butterfly and bird.

I really wanted something fancier for that wheel, but done is better than perfect!

47 Likes

These are great! Happy belated cakeday!

5 Likes

Happy Cake Day. Love your post!!

3 Likes

This is very pretty.
My cat turned 16 last month too.
Happy Cake Day!

3 Likes

Very nice. Is this a foot powered spinning wheel?

4 Likes

I’m so happy to see another fiber artist here!

3 Likes

That is quite a yarn you are spinning :grin: I might think that raising cats while spinning yarn might be like raising cats and canaries :smile_cat: :hatched_chick: but perhaps if they watch all the cats on your wheel they might be like a dog chasing a car trying to read the hubcap :woozy_face: and not get tangled up in your work.

3 Likes

Happy belated Cakeday @kelley1!! I love your little spinning wheel! Did you make it yourself? I’ve never seen one like that.

3 Likes

That’s so cute!

3 Likes

Best regards to your cat.

@Pheomelanin good to see you here; what’s your fiber specialty?

@celesteprobichaux and @ellencadwell Yes, this is a foot-powered wheel. It’s great for less-than-correct seating so you don’t strain your back when you don’t have a good chair. Can be used in a spacious car by the passenger. I didn’t make the wheel–it’s made by a guy in Oak Harbor, WA.

4 Likes

Happy Cake Day

3 Likes

Very cool!! Happy cake day!!

3 Likes

I’m a knitter. Do you sell your spun yarn?

2 Likes

Pretty nifty!

3 Likes

Veneer works great for making custom stickers and labels!

3 Likes

Fun! How fast does the wheel go? Does it give the effect of animating the cats on it?

4 Likes

The wheel is limited by how fast I can treadle; I used to be a triathlete, so that’s pretty fast. The bobbin rotation is controlled by a small wheel on the opposite side from the cats. I have to leave that clear because it acts as a whorl (increased or decreases rotational speed).

No, the cats aren’t animated…oh, but what a good idea! Sort of like the Muybridge horse photos?

4 Likes

Happy cake day!!!

What a fun whimsical addition!

2 Likes

Exactly

1 Like

Except as cats…I’ll bet such a series can be found on the internet. Oh no, thru the cat door & down the rabbit hole!

2 Likes