Gizmag refers to GF Kickstarter campaign - oops

“After a record shattering Kickstarter campaign that netted the company more than $27,900,000 in purchases in less than thirty days…”

Oh boy…

Edit: Dan agreed. Say what!?
“Shapiro: … Right now we’re expecting to deliver to our Kickstarter backers during the first half of 2016. For orders placed now, most likely Q3, 2016.”

The only thing weird here is that Dan called it Kickstarter.

That’s pretty much the same timeline (or better) that’s been explained in ~87 other threads here. Dan has made it no secret that “first units” will ship in Dec (which we ASSUME means maker spaces & Seattle buyers), and then once they get some feedback based on real-world use from those units, production will be tweaked as-needed and then the remainder will roll out over the next few quarters, with all pre-sale units ideally shipped by Aug '16.

Sorry, but there’s no “oh boy” or “say what” about this.

It was not a Kickstarter campaign, Mike… (read the post title).
That’s the point. Nothing else.

And my ‘oh boy’ refers to poor journalism - do you think Dan really reffered to his Kicktarter backers?

To me it’s very significant that GF, as a new company, was able break a crowdfunding record without using a crowdfunding campaign. That’s another record. And to me as a product developer, that is at least interesting. Gizmag seem to have missed this completely.

1 Like

Ah - got it. Sorry. I thought it was about the shipping. Yeah you are right - definitely odd that the called it Kickstarter.

It’s just becoming a generic for crowdfunding, like Kleenex and Xerox before it. This isn’t a big deal.

2 Likes

LOL. I suppose you could say Kickstarter is the “iconic” crowdfunding platform. What do you think, @bridget?

1 Like

Sure, but if you’re one of the web’s biggest tech sites, facts matter.
And I’m not sure I would be happy if I were misquoted like that if I were GF and if I achieved that goal precisely without Kickstarter.

Well, considering you have no idea if it’s a misquote

Indeed, this is true