Gkid's Bedroom Sign (in which Grandma's Hard-Earned InkScape Skills are Trounced by an Eight-Year-Old)

Me: “Want me to make a sign for your bedroom?”

Gkid: “YES!”

[brief pause while we use Google Fonts to find a font she likes]

Me: “So, you type your words in like this, and change it to a path. You can draw stuff like this. It uses lines instead of little dots, and these are nodes; they hold the lines, and these little handles let you shape the…”

Gkid: [reaches across and takes over my mouse] “Here, let me do it.”

Me: wanders off to look for something to do that doesn’t require my computer…

20 minutes later, give or take…

Gkid: “Okay, it’s ready.”

Me: [expecting to have to do major edits] “Ummm…hmmm. Looks good. You just need an outline for the sign. That one is the shape of the whole piece of wood. Here, use this tool to make a rectangle…that little dot makes the corners curved…”

Gkid: “I can do it.” Grabs the mouse

3 minutes later…

Gkid: “There, I’m done.”

Me: “It’s kind of off-center, want me to show you how to align…”

Gkid: “No, I want it like that. It’s STYLE.” She emphasizes the last word with a little head toss and pose reminiscent of someone twice her age…

Me: “…”

_The colors are her plan for how to paint it. I was instructed to just do the outlines. _

39 Likes

Go Celia!

4 Likes

It’s genetics. :smile:
(She obviously got the knack.)

2 Likes

Her sign looks better than my signs…

4 Likes

I like how you say you “were instructed”. That girl knows her style, and don’t mess with her art!

3 Likes

Awesome! Be sure to show us the completed project.

4 Likes

Too funny!

2 Likes

Kids always have more knowledge and ability than we realize. How wonderful to have a Glowforge to expand on that! Love her sign!

1 Like