Glass Engraving

Just wanted to share my experience engraving glass. I engraved a Tequila Glass and came out perfectly as I expected. I used pure dish washing soap. I used my finger and apply thin coat of liquid dish soap over the area

to be engraved. Place the glass into the engraver and laser through the soap while it is still wet. The dish soap is often all that is needed to protect the glass.

20 Likes

How did you hold it in position? I’ve been toying with the idea of doing some shot glasses (toothpick holders–some of the places I sell things aren’t allowed to sell alcohol-related items), but I don’t have a reliable way to hold them during the process

2 Likes

try these:

9 Likes

Very nice. Great idea and thanks for sharing the soap info.

1 Like

May I ask what height you set it at? (thickness) These are awesome!

2 Likes

what settings did you use

1 Like

Since the Beyond the Manual section is the only place manual settings are allowed, that would be a good place to search. There have been a bunch of threads about engraving glass. For Example:

4 Likes

Hi, did your glass chip out over time? Your engrave looked like mine but as soon as I washed the glass the white etched glass chipped away.

For me, the sweet spot is 800/full/450 x2. After I brush away the chips, cutting any remains with a small knife, then polish with a 2000 grit sandpaper. Wipe with some alcohol and they look fabulous!

2 Likes

For me, different glass has engraved drastically differently, and I had to test for all.

I have saved settings for the spice-jar lids and shot glasses, but I’ve also done cheap glass plates from the dollar store (one-time, didn’t bother to save settings.)

The spice jars I engraved are no longer available. The shot-glasses are, and I have many left.

I also tried some of my glass settings on lanterns, was not successful. I replaced with clear acrylic.

Glass is not all alike.

1 Like

I meant specifically for the shot glasses referenced above