Glass Etching Shot Glasses

I was told this wasn’t possible. Well here it is.

Takes about 10 runs: mask with removable tape or label. Start with 600/Full/340 then gradually lower the speed each run to 300/Full/340 and then use 200/Full/450 on the final run. All glass acts differently so you might have to try a couple to get the science down. You’ll have to gently remove any glass flakes left over for a clean look

24 Likes

There have been quite a few projects shared here for glass engraving. Here is one from a few years back. Engraved / Etched Shot Glasses

13 Likes

Looks great.

6 Likes

You showed them! :slight_smile:

I find dish soap better than masking when doing glass (and acrylics and magnet sheets).

15 Likes

I agree with the dish soap mask. I used it on spice jars and had a pretty good result.

12 Likes

I also like the dish soap for glass and acrylic, especially since it washes off so easily. But if I’m going to paint the engrave, I use wood glue (let it dry first) - it peels off easily.

7 Likes

These are the direct engrave settings that I settled on, from another thread.

More passes and a deeper cut does look nice though.

@demarcusalexan if you get into glass work more check out my post on Rayzist Lazermask. You will need an airbrush sandblaster but it makes a really nice looking product. I have been unable to get that white frosted glass look with direct engraving, and I tried hard.

5 Likes

I like the texture you achieved.

2 Likes

I can get frosted without or spray a mask on flat glass panes easily. Shot glasses seem a little harder

4 Likes

Very interesting, can you share your settings for the Chucky image? The frosted areas look great.

It may end up being down to the difference in the glass. I tried a lot of things to get that frosted look on shot glasses with no luck, but I never tried a sheet of glass.

2 Likes

I tried it and it looks like 1 run did the trick for frosted with dish soap

8 Likes