Glass top protected

Hey, the GlowForge has a tough and beautiful exterior, but there are a few items that if dropped on the lid they will shatter the glass. Dense ceramic items, particularly magnets, can shatter the top even with a very light/short fall.

It is a $200 repair (parts & labor- very reasonable I say) but another $200 round trip shipping and the loss of use of your beloved GlowForge.

I decided to be proactive and ordered a think table top clear plastic sheet off Amazon. I won’t leave a link because I don’t have any referral side business or anything, but I ordered this one and it is very nice and needed only a tiny amount of trimming.

15 Likes

Would love to see a photo of it once you receive it! Any any initial impressions!

So does that mean that I no longer need to keep mine wrapped in bubble wrap? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s a clever idea. It looks like it would do the trick without interfering with the functionality, aesthetics, or see-through-ness of the lid.

I want to make some kind of joke about the furniture in grandma’s house here, but I’m too tired to formulate one, so take it as read.

6 Likes

You can see right though it. Almost invisible

16 Likes

I installed a piece of 1/8" plexi with some Velcro tape to do the same thing. The height of the tape should provide a buffer, I think. Though I like your idea better; much less obtrusive.

The roll was likely cheaper than a sheet of acrylic. But if I had a piece that big I would have used it.