Through together a case for my wife today.
I started with plans from here
The plans are quite good and I thought they’d drop right into the Glowforge ui no problem.
I took the PDF files and the loaded right in no problem. I did an initial test cut on some card board.
That turned out great.
Me being me and knowing my proclivity to screw things up I did another test cut on some plywood from Menards.
That also turned out great. I cut the felt file and acrylic handle files on printer paper just to check the fit of those. I found I didn’t like the size of the felt, it didn’t wrap the whole inside compartment. That was an easy fix, just streched it in Inkscape to the size I wanted (5.45 inches). The handle seemed fine though one piece of the paper blew around inside the laser and I have no idea where it ended up.
So now I’m ready to cut the final product. I put some proof grade medium maple ply in and cut away.
Peal away the masking and everything is looking great. Until I do a dry fit and realize the ends are designed for thicker material.
To try and salvage the project I went back to Inkscape and resized the ovals for the end and uploaded a file with just one of them in it. I dropped each end in the GF one at a time centered as well as I could under the lens to maximize accuracy. Zoomed in to about 300% and placed the file as well as I possibly could and trimed them down.
They weren’t perfect but darn close.
I made it for my wife who is an avid knitter, hence the images on the ends.
I’m moderately pleased with the results. Some things I’d change;
Of course, get the ends sized right to begin with.
At the very least, change the color of acrylic used for the handle. If not redesign it to use something less bulky.