Glow forge T-shirts?

I’ll send that to you early next week when I’m back to my main computer where the design is stored.

The application of the stencil to the double curved galls was a challenge. I had to cut the stencil into pieces and apply them one at a time. The first time I tried to apply it all as one piece and that did not go well, very wrinkled.

1 Like

I thought so. So what you’re saying is that you HATE (or at least moderately dislike) convex surfaces also.:slight_smile:

The thing about a trademark is that the trademark owner can lose the trademark if they do not defend their rights to it! So Dan HAS to tell you no, or he could risk his trademark for not doing so.

This could be a situation where he wouldnt really care, but legally he is obliged to. A lot of people might not be aware of this fact, so I thought I would share.

3 Likes

No apology necessary - I am deeply gratified by your generosity and enthusiasm.

Exactly this - there may be ways around it but they take a bunch of my time talking to legal and sorting out policy and such, and I think you’d all rather I get you your Glowforge units. :wink:

–dan

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing, good insight!

1 Like

I also have a Cameo. Originally bought for paper crafts, now it’s more for t-shirts, signs, and etching glass. I did try the Armour Etch cream (with so-so results) but was thrilled when hubby bought me an air eraser and built a box. I highly recommend using the cabinet! Upgraded my air eraser last year (original was the Harbor Freight one, used with the HF etching compound) but I’m still using the original couple of bottles of compound since you can capture it when using the cabinet.
I have a link to a poor man’s/math-less video on how to determine the curve needed for a glass. It won’t help in all cases, but it gives you a starting point. Pinterest is FULL of pins on how to do it (with more math!) so don’t forget that option.
Final thing: most people I know curse the Silhouette name when it comes to vinyl (and the price of most of their tools is outrageous). I had ok results with some HTV for shirts but sticky vinyl tends to not perform very well. I’ve had great results with the vinyl sheets from Jo Ann’s (it’s mostly re-branded Oracal - which is the standard) but the rolled up stuff from Hobby Lobby was a total disaster! For stencils I use whatever non permanent vinyl I have on hand - with a coupon it can be worth it for a small run/experiment. If you’re really interested in getting a Cameo from Amazon (and you want to price watch for a while) I would suggest checking out Camelcamelcamel.com and keep an eye on it for a bit. A Cameo by itself can usually be had for right around $200. It’s a neat machine! :smiley:
Here are a couple of pics of things I’ve done with my Cameo. Glasses etched with the air gun. You can get amazing detail with the air gun that the cream just can’t match. Large wall vinyl cut in sections and adhered to my wall about 2-3 years ago. Still looks great!

14 Likes

Love the etched rocks glasses. I’ve used Armour Etch for my first experiments, but hope to be able to cut stencils with the Glowforge to do more. Down the line, I think I’d love to try using the sand blast technique.

2 Likes

With the right touch, shading can be done very well also.
Nice work.

1 Like

Great work on the glasses. Both the fun designs and photo work. I am never able to get good shots of glassware.
I think that the link you attached is the original on that I saw. Thanks for pulling it up. I just got some compound for my HF cabinet and will give this tapered stencil trick a try. Most work I do is on pint or tapered rocks glasses.

1 Like

Thanks for the lovely compliment! I think the photos were just a combination of luck and cussing. Glass is such a pain! :anguished:

3 Likes

Unfortunately if you’re hawking Glowforge shirts in the forum I’d need to ask you to stop.

If people wanted to PM you and discuss how they might engage in creative collaboration with you, of course, that’s none of my business.

–dan

Now that’s one smoooooth operator.

Smooth Operator