Glow forge trace function

is it possible to import the trace function image into Inkscape

1 Like

Screenshot is only option I know of at the moment to capture a trace from the GFUI.

3 Likes

Sadly, other than the kludge that @jdt92065 mentions no. I think everyone doing this should have a flatbed scanner of some type.

4 Likes

nope, but if you don’t have a flatbed scanner there are good apps for smartphones that do a good job, as long as you provide good lighting.
I use CamScanner for my Iphone (as their software camCard for scanning every business card I ever received)

1 Like

Coincidence - I’ve just been looking at flatbed scanners on ebay, but I need to be able scan longer paper drawings, typically 8" wide, but 16 - 20" long.
Wondered about the ‘portable’ style. Anyone use these for longer than letter scans ?
Or do they all have a software limit to letter sizes for example.
:upside_down_face:

Google PhotoScan has done some great captures of poster sized images for me. No reason it wouldn’t work on the sizes you mentioned.

It’s free. I know it’s available on Android, not sure about iStuff

7 Likes

jawdropping
Thanks. I think you saved me a load !

Bonus - I’ve just been looking at my family photos, just like the Ad !
:upside_down_face:

3 Likes

What a neat app! Thanks man!

1 Like

Can confirm - works well on iStuff

1 Like

The google app sounds good. If you are looking for a dedicated scanner that can do 11x17, you might look at Brother all-in-one printers. They have several models that can print and scan (make sure you get one that has the 11x17 glass). Not as cheap as a free app, but not too expensive. I have one at the office that does a decent scan job. I did find this model on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0KAPRY/ref=psdc_172646_t1_B00EPY0JAI

1 Like

That is what I do for artwork that is not digitally created (old fashioned pen and ink). i love the trace function for fun one-off kinds of things, but scanning and then working on it in a graphics program like AI etc. serves me better for more elaborate things or repeat uses.

2 Likes

Exactly, I love the camera for fun but a flatbed is where you can get down and dirty. I wish I had a larger and better one but the 8.5x11 built into one of my printers works quite well.

1 Like

I use Google PhotoScan on my iPhone to capture glare- and shadow-free images ranging from document to full height mural sizes. :+1: :+1:

2 Likes