Glowforge delivery notification UK edition

Looking at the tracking info it’s still in the USA, not sure when it’ll be making the journey over. The less time they have their hands on it the better, couldn’t agree more with you on that front.

3 Likes

Morning peeps. Woke to a couple of happy emails from UPS this morning. Looks like the GF and crumb tray are still in the US as of yesterday but delivery expected by end of day on Tuesday. Yaaaaaaay!!! Doing a happy dance (well in my head cos I’m still in bed!!)

7 Likes

Just had the email from UPS requesting fee payment of £839.49 for my Pro!!! Say what??
£819.01 Government Fees and £20.48 brokerage fees. How the heck is it this much? I’ve seen fees for Pro’s from £690 to around £740 but £839…!!!
Has anyone else had this lovely surprise as yet??!

1 Like

Something’s afoot. Don’t know if they (customs) are going on the now retail price or something, I did question my fees for the proofgrade and was told I’d have to pay and then appeal. I didn’t think it was worth it at the time, but this discrepancy is definitely worth pursuing.

I emailed Glowforge support on the 6th March about varying import duties and to get some clarification, but so far no response apart from the automated ticket number. I think it may be worth giving them a try on your own as there should be some consitancy.

1 Like

I had my email yesterday from UPS and just paid my customs fees for my Pro, same cost as yours but hoping I can reclaim most of it as its import VAT…

2 Likes

Just in case anybody’s coming to this thread, an explanation for the extra duties referenced above can be found here. Don’t want to cause a panic! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Mines just rolled up, looks like it’s survived the journey based on what to look out for initially. One handle left on the box which wasn’t in bad shape.

Just need my mate to come round and help me shift it up to the studio managed to lift it onto the dining room table but don’t fancy the tight squeeze upstairs on my ownsome.

It’s pretty massive

3 Likes

Finally my glowforge is at home. Everything looks great!! Let´s smoke :bangbang:

4 Likes

Had to go and buy a longer hose for mine after doing the ruler with my mate holding the one supplied in the direction of an open window :joy:

6 Likes

LoL
I had to change the table so that the hose would reach the window
When the UPS courier came, I almost hugged him :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

likewise, I think he must have thought I was a little odd

2 Likes

Ugh UPS are the pits. Glowforge was ‘due for delivery’ last Friday. Paid the fees within an hour of getting the email. Got an email late Thursday saying they’d rescheduled to Tuesday - fair enough, it was a holiday on Friday afterall. Bummed, but no biggie.

Tuesday comes and it’s a ‘before end of day (7pm)’ deal, so we spend all day in the house waiting for delivery (we’re on staycation so it pretty much torpedos the day). It gets to 11:30 at night and the tracking still says ‘before end of day’. Checked it this morning and I now have no scheduled deliveries for today, yet each parcel says it’s due for delivery by the end of today. Riiiight.

Called UPS customer service who claim that it didn’t dispatch yesterday because the shipper (Glowforge) didn’t use the correct weights for the packages. So, let me get this straight, it manages to ship from Cali, over the Atlantic, through customs and to a depot 2.5 hours away but now the wrong weights are an issue?? Apparently, the shipper needed to clarify these before it could dispatch. Something smells like…

@dan I’m guessing this is actually nothing to do with you guys (since the packages were 79lbs and 14lbs as I seems to recall everyone else saying they would be), and it’s just UPS covering up the fact that someone forgot to put it on a truck :unamused:

I’d seriously consider another shipper; DPD manage to give me a one hour window for delivery and get it here bang on time.

:lying_face::poop:

More likely somebody decided it was too heavy to lift on their own but to say the shipping weight is wrong is bull. Perhaps it is lbs / kg confusion. International parcels should probably be in kg, not lbs.

It’s ALIVE!!! and it’s ARRIVED!

9 Likes

Another roller coaster! Glad it’s in your hands at last!

1 Like

Thanks man! I have no idea why (I’ve build a custom drawer enclosure for it) but I’m still, like everyone else, surprised by how big it is!

It’s also, awesome!

3 Likes

Congratulations on finally receiving it. The weight thing, at least with the big box, is particularly weird as it is a dimensional weight and not actual weight. The actual weight is a decent bit less or I don’t know my own strength.

3 Likes

Oh really, that’s interesting. Little bit of smoke on the first print but the vent is working well. Just need to build a case for the filters I have and I think we’ll be rollin’.

3 Likes

Woohoo! Congrats! :grinning:

1 Like