Glowforge delivery notification UK edition

The eagle has landed!

No crumb tray box yet, but with all things :glowforge:patience is a virtue!

22 Likes

I can almost feel its coolness just across the pond!

1 Like

All four handles too?!

1 Like

Well noticed and thanks for saving me, I completely forgot to post the obligatory handle count. :wink:

The cardboard is pretty sodden on the bottom and is a little mushy, few tears and holes. Tape that keeps the lid on in conjunction with the handles had completely split on one side and the foam insert that you can see at an angle and detached in the picture had come unstuck from its counterparts.

Haven’t got it out the box yet, but it looks good from what I can see. Delivery driver was super helpful as it was a little bit of a white knuckle ride on the snow and ice bringing it in, but all good so far.

3 Likes

It’s OK, fellow Englandatarian, I got yo’ back.

The states had a really cold winter in places back in January. This was a topic of discussion then. The post below is the most pertinent (along with one three down), but the whole thread might be worth reading.

https://community.glowforge.com/t/lowest-safe-temperature-for-storage-of-glowforge-coolant-does-it-expand-freezing-point/16157/33
1 Like

Wow is that the first European delivery? Super huge Congratulations! :grinning::tada::confetti_ball::balloon::boom::dizzy::balloon:

2 Likes

I’m in Bucks UK, awaiting tracking info or UPS to contact me, had the first email from glowforge on Tuesday. Did anyone get a confirmation email from glowforge or anything after the message on the site saying it’s “on the way”?

1 Like

Just FYI, here in the US, my two packages were split after shipping (UPS), and arrived a day apart.

Are you talking about the original email asking if you want it or the one that says it’s on the way? If the latter then no, that is the final email from GF about the shipment.

And given that the OP showed a time of 2 days total transit, I would make sure you have the Customs/VAT money ready.

Mine made its way across the country over 5 days where most of it was sub-zero weather (F). Mine sat in my garage at -9F for several days after delivery due to Christmas. So I wouldn’t expect UK cold to be an issue :slightly_smiling_face:

Make sure you check to see if it’s wet inside the plastic bag the GF is packed in. If the box is wet because the shipper left it in a wet area that’s probably okay. But if it’s wet because the coolant leaked and it’s wet inside the unit, you’re toast.

3 Likes

I rather like to think the OP is hosed in this case, but to each their own

3 Likes

Looks like the germans may have got in there?

@steve_grain got his yesterday too to the UK, wonder why he took so long to tell us? Maybe it’s that thing with McDonalds and he’s just trying to throw us off his tracks?

1 Like

Total invoice was $2,473.00 for Basic and shipping. $478 of that is the shipping.

which was £1,683.43 in total

Very exciting to see other UK users getting their units. Mine is due to be delviered today and i have a question. Does it come with a uk power cable or will i need to nip out and get a new one today?

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Congrats on you expectant delivery!

Yes it comes with a standard UK plug with a changeable 10a fuse (why 10amp anyone?) The other end looks like the ever so britishly named kettle lead type connection.

It also comes with 2 other leads with euro plugs on them, so bonus if I have to move abroad!

And I have to say the easiest cloud connection I’ve ever done in my life. It just works. It’s like 5/10 minutes. No mac addresses or can’t connect because of x,y,z. It just worked. Which surprises me after all the interconnected things I have that take sometimes days of head scratching to figure out and googling down the rabbit hole till you discover some obscure forum that’s specific to the problem you’re having. And thank heavens for those forums!

4 Likes

Hey @Andrew

Using your purchase price total of $2951 USD ($2473 for the basic + $478 delivery) I’m guessing at the following based on what I was charged.

Convert to £ GBP using HMRC March '18 exchange rate of 1.3979:

$2951/1.3979 = £2111.02

Based on the commodity code that has now been confirmed by @rita of 8456119000 which attracts duty of 4.5%:

4.5%(Duty) of £2111.02 = £95

Add the duty to the £ GBP invoice amount:

£2111.02+£95 = £2206.02

Work out the VAT on these amounts:

20% (VAT) of £2206.02 = £441.20

Add the VAT and Duty amounts to give a total customs charge:

£441.20 (VAT amount) + £95 (Duty Amount) =£536.20

so £536.20 is my best guess plus the brokerage fee which in my case was £17.98.

Again these are figures guessed from what I paid, that were still a few quid out from what I actually paid, but the best info I can give at the moment. Hope it helps and anybody looking at this, if you can correct me or simplify this please do chip in!

1 Like

Oh well, good job i have put aside enough to cover it. my date is 16th March, so hopefully will get the magic email in 10 days or so.

No, re read the OP. He says of the $2473, $478 is shipping. So $2473 includes shipping. Same as mine then.

I work out as being £449 (just over), plus brokerage. So, slightly better :slight_smile:

:+1::+1:Thanks @nathan_burley! And apologies to @andrew for not do good at reading ug ug :crazy_face:.

But on the bright side doesn’t feel better to be paying less (even if actually you’re not, it’s just someone on the internet told you wrong stuff)?