Glowforge delivery notification UK edition

I just tore down a perfectly habitable 220+ year old farmhouse in the Netherlands to build my new farmhouse on that site. Nobody from the history preservation squad even batted an eye when I filed for it. So many examples of beautiful old farms around here they didn’t mind to loose this one. Couldn’t find an exact build date but it shows up on maps from 1803. They still find Roman coins and buildings in the land here too so I’m still hoping to not find anything. Because that would stagnate the build for a year or more…

4 Likes

Wow and wow, would be cool to see!

Hope you find some coins after you’ve built it!

Both packages are now in London!

The Glowforge package tracking skipped a few steps and somehow just seems to of not departed Louisville, but just teleported to London? Who cares it’s here.

Just have to pay the import fees and it can finally be mine!

On a serious note, it’s literally freezing outside, does this affect the Glowforge, read it’s meant to be kept above freezing? Or is it not a problem during transportation?

2 Likes

My first house in Australia was 95 years old and council wanted me to hold off on a rennovation until its ‘historical significance’ was assessed
:laughing:

Since then i have lived in a German Estate building from the 1700s as well as a few other similar places

The best was when my Master (on Australia Day no less) laughingly told me that our Temple was 350 years old, and by Japanese standards it was considered relatively new… but it was still older than Western culture in Oz!

2 Likes

One would hope not because it can get a lot colder in its native land. Whatever the cooling fluid is it should have antifreeze properties. For example, normally deionised water and ethylene glycol.

I would let it warm up to room temperature before powering it up to make sure there is no condensation in the electronics.

4 Likes

@palmercr brilliant advice, thank you!

So taking your maths, a Basic will be aropund £450 - £500 to pay.

I used to import laser cutters for a living. My rule of thumb for importing anything is that the price in dollars is the same as the price in pounds (after fees and duty)

3 Likes

Hey @andrew,

How much did you pay in total including shipping to the UK?

The eagle has landed!

No crumb tray box yet, but with all things :glowforge:patience is a virtue!

22 Likes

I can almost feel its coolness just across the pond!

1 Like

All four handles too?!

1 Like

Well noticed and thanks for saving me, I completely forgot to post the obligatory handle count. :wink:

The cardboard is pretty sodden on the bottom and is a little mushy, few tears and holes. Tape that keeps the lid on in conjunction with the handles had completely split on one side and the foam insert that you can see at an angle and detached in the picture had come unstuck from its counterparts.

Haven’t got it out the box yet, but it looks good from what I can see. Delivery driver was super helpful as it was a little bit of a white knuckle ride on the snow and ice bringing it in, but all good so far.

3 Likes

It’s OK, fellow Englandatarian, I got yo’ back.

The states had a really cold winter in places back in January. This was a topic of discussion then. The post below is the most pertinent (along with one three down), but the whole thread might be worth reading.

https://community.glowforge.com/t/lowest-safe-temperature-for-storage-of-glowforge-coolant-does-it-expand-freezing-point/16157/33
1 Like

Wow is that the first European delivery? Super huge Congratulations! :grinning::tada::confetti_ball::balloon::boom::dizzy::balloon:

2 Likes

I’m in Bucks UK, awaiting tracking info or UPS to contact me, had the first email from glowforge on Tuesday. Did anyone get a confirmation email from glowforge or anything after the message on the site saying it’s “on the way”?

1 Like

Just FYI, here in the US, my two packages were split after shipping (UPS), and arrived a day apart.

Are you talking about the original email asking if you want it or the one that says it’s on the way? If the latter then no, that is the final email from GF about the shipment.

And given that the OP showed a time of 2 days total transit, I would make sure you have the Customs/VAT money ready.

Mine made its way across the country over 5 days where most of it was sub-zero weather (F). Mine sat in my garage at -9F for several days after delivery due to Christmas. So I wouldn’t expect UK cold to be an issue :slightly_smiling_face:

Make sure you check to see if it’s wet inside the plastic bag the GF is packed in. If the box is wet because the shipper left it in a wet area that’s probably okay. But if it’s wet because the coolant leaked and it’s wet inside the unit, you’re toast.

3 Likes