Glowforge delivery notification UK edition

I rather like to think the OP is hosed in this case, but to each their own

3 Likes

Looks like the germans may have got in there?

@steve_grain got his yesterday too to the UK, wonder why he took so long to tell us? Maybe itā€™s that thing with McDonalds and heā€™s just trying to throw us off his tracks?

1 Like

Total invoice was $2,473.00 for Basic and shipping. $478 of that is the shipping.

which was Ā£1,683.43 in total

Very exciting to see other UK users getting their units. Mine is due to be delviered today and i have a question. Does it come with a uk power cable or will i need to nip out and get a new one today?

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Congrats on you expectant delivery!

Yes it comes with a standard UK plug with a changeable 10a fuse (why 10amp anyone?) The other end looks like the ever so britishly named kettle lead type connection.

It also comes with 2 other leads with euro plugs on them, so bonus if I have to move abroad!

And I have to say the easiest cloud connection Iā€™ve ever done in my life. It just works. Itā€™s like 5/10 minutes. No mac addresses or canā€™t connect because of x,y,z. It just worked. Which surprises me after all the interconnected things I have that take sometimes days of head scratching to figure out and googling down the rabbit hole till you discover some obscure forum thatā€™s specific to the problem youā€™re having. And thank heavens for those forums!

4 Likes

Hey @Andrew

Using your purchase price total of $2951 USD ($2473 for the basic + $478 delivery) Iā€™m guessing at the following based on what I was charged.

Convert to Ā£ GBP using HMRC March '18 exchange rate of 1.3979:

$2951/1.3979 = Ā£2111.02

Based on the commodity code that has now been confirmed by @rita of 8456119000 which attracts duty of 4.5%:

4.5%(Duty) of Ā£2111.02 = Ā£95

Add the duty to the Ā£ GBP invoice amount:

Ā£2111.02+Ā£95 = Ā£2206.02

Work out the VAT on these amounts:

20% (VAT) of Ā£2206.02 = Ā£441.20

Add the VAT and Duty amounts to give a total customs charge:

Ā£441.20 (VAT amount) + Ā£95 (Duty Amount) =Ā£536.20

so Ā£536.20 is my best guess plus the brokerage fee which in my case was Ā£17.98.

Again these are figures guessed from what I paid, that were still a few quid out from what I actually paid, but the best info I can give at the moment. Hope it helps and anybody looking at this, if you can correct me or simplify this please do chip in!

1 Like

Oh well, good job i have put aside enough to cover it. my date is 16th March, so hopefully will get the magic email in 10 days or so.

No, re read the OP. He says of the $2473, $478 is shipping. So $2473 includes shipping. Same as mine then.

I work out as being Ā£449 (just over), plus brokerage. So, slightly better :slight_smile:

:+1::+1:Thanks @nathan_burley! And apologies to @andrew for not do good at reading ug ug :crazy_face:.

But on the bright side doesnā€™t feel better to be paying less (even if actually youā€™re not, itā€™s just someone on the internet told you wrong stuff)?

No worries :slight_smile: Oh, if it were me, Iā€™d be off spending the money Iā€™d just saved on new tools! Donā€™t do that though, 'cos I probably messed up the maths and then youā€™ll be for it @andrew :smile:

To be truthfull, i can live with either amount, Just as long as i get the magic email this month. canā€™t wait, but will just have too.

1 Like

Because youā€™re running 220V right? The 15A spec for US machines is based on 120V.

I only mention it because the UK norm for things like this is a 13amp fuse, so was just a curiosity to see if there was a special reason it might be 10amp? But if it verks it verks!

The GF only takes 800W, which is less than 4A at 230V but a 5A fuse would be cutting it close and the inrush surge is likely to be somewhat higher. 10A is the next common rating and I think the max for IEC connectors that donā€™t have the slot in them. Those are for kettles and use thicker wire for the full 13A.

4 Likes

Super insightful, didnā€™t know about the notched lead thing, really interesting. And amazing the kind of regs and details of those regulations we have to make products safer. I still remember when I we younger and wrapping blown fuses in tin foil was totally a thing. :exploding_head::skull_and_crossbones::ghost:

Well looked at account page just and date moved forward again, 13th March. Iā€™m sure someone is just winding me upā€¦

Mine just moved forward two daysā€¦ Go team Glowforge!

Even better, can use the extra money I have set aside towards an Prusa i3 mk3 :smiley:

1 Like

You wonā€™t regret it! Iā€™ve got a Mk3 and itā€™s worth every cent for how easy and consistent it is.

1 Like

I got a MK2S literally a month before they released the MK3. I was so pissed :rage: