Glowforge Gift exchange 2016

I’m in!

6 Likes

I’m in! Pinning until Friday so everyone can see.

10 Likes

Okay, I’m in!

4 Likes

Count me in as well.

4 Likes

Btw @JeremyNielsen, google forms are a great way to get responses; since this is a public forum, though, you might want to include a space for users to put their forum profile link just to make sure it stays within the crowd.

5 Likes

I’m in!

4 Likes

I’m interested. How much time do we have?

3 Likes

I’m in.

1 Like

Whoop whoop! This is working out well!! :smiley: :smiley: Thanks @nathan_p @dan @cynd11 @ianauch @Just-Maken-It @rebecca

Oh Good call @jrnelson ! I’ll use that to collect your addresses to pass on to the person who has your name!

@chris1 Lets say… Dec 4th deadline to commit (I’ll then get people their names) and Dec 12th deadline for shipment. (I’ll add this to the post description)

4 Likes

I think December 12th is a bit of a rush - that’s only a week during the holiday season. Why not set it for three weeks from whenever you send out the email; I think people are stressed enough at this time of year.

Additionally, given that this is a holiday season, you might think of adding a field to ask about dietary restrictions / allergies!

5 Likes

I’m in as well!

3 Likes

Yeah I was wondering that. But was concerned about shipping times. I’ll bump it to the 17th.

Fantastic @chadmart1076

1 Like

I’m in too!

But I’m not sure I understand how it works. I tried googling what white elephant meant and it appears to be either a really complicated game, a gift that no one wants, or both? Are we making things for each other that no one wants and can’t get rid of?

4 Likes

I’m in, great Idea.

@erin try looking up “secret santa”.

4 Likes

Fantastic @jbv and @erin

Oh, maybe it’s a Canadian name for it. Basically, each person that commits to be a part of it will get a name of someone else playing and you send them a Christmas gift (under $25 value with a focus on hand made if possible). Then someone else gets your name too and they send you a gift!! :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah, this is definitely not a white elephant thing. Secret santa means you get someone’s name (they won’t get yours), and you figure out the sort of thing they might like from their posts, and then buy / make a gift and mail it out to them.

Since the giftee doesn’t know who you are until they get the gift, it’s ‘secret’, and since you’re sending out a gift just to be nice, you’re ‘santa!’

3 Likes

I think White Elephant has become the name for a gift exchange among people who don’t really know each other personally; typically a work environment or a group of “friends of friends”. The format is different depending on the group.

In my office our gifts are either “joke” or not and they will be distributed via a game at our Christmas party.

In this case, each of us will get the name of someone else on the list. Then we will send a gift to that person. That person will send a gift to someone as well (but not necessarily to the person that sent them the gift). As for the format of the gift, if I read it correctly, it is supposed to be something that we have personally made, given that we are all makers of one kind or another here.

5 Likes

@jeremynielsen, nah, white elephant is just a secret santa but with prank / funny gifts instead of sincere ones.

2 Likes

Ah, thanks for the clarification guys! I removed the “white elephant” part of the description. Definitely doesn’t not supposed to be jokes. :stuck_out_tongue: Whoops!

2 Likes