Glowforge Import Accurcy

I received my Glowforge yesterday and am sooooo very excited!!!

That said I have been cutting a few things today and was struggling to get them assembled. When I dug in a bit I realized that the scaling of my design in Glowforge looks to be off from my SVG. I came across a cool x-wing design on the form and even came across an Fusion 360 model. When I import it into Glowforge I am off .5in in the y direction.

Here was my process

• Export Fusion 360 sketch as an SVG with a utility
  • Open in my vector tool of choice (Autodesk Graphic) to create a few layers
  • Import layers into Glowforge and notice I have a scaling issue

In Grapics the envelope size is 5.6752

When I look at it in Glowforge it looks like more like 4.25

It looks like the overall scale is off. Anybody run into this before?

2 Likes

It’s setting 72ppi where Glowforge defaults to 96, so 5.652/96*72=4.239 which is what you’re getting. See if you can strip out ppi unit definitions in your SVG.

7 Likes

I export from F360 with the draw module and saving PDF files. The GF cuts PDF perfectly. I had similar issues when I first started with SVG files being off scale.

1 Like

Many thanks!! Do you know if there is a place to change this in Inkscape?

1 Like

I think you can change this in document properties. Be aware that the default is changing with 0.92 and older documents will be handled in interesting ways.

Also: use the 12x20 artboard…

1 Like

Unfortunately, our team doesn’t have expertise in Fusion 360 or Autodesk Graphic.

If you create a file in a vector design software like Inkscape, you can expect the scale to be maintained when you upload it to the Glowforge app.

I know some of our customers are using Fusion 360 to design. I expect you could find a helpful tutorial in the Tips and Tricks area of our community forum. I’ll also move this post to Beyond the Manual so you can continue to get help there.

@garin_gardiner I’m so glad you received yours! As noted, SVG units are interesting, and depending on how they’re generated they may or may not scale appropriately.

Thanks @dan and Glowforge team!! I have been having a ball with my new toy. Mostly been engraving on things so far but have cut out a few things as well. Here are a few of my projects the last few days I have been using it for.

Many more things to come.

13 Likes

Very cool!

Eh I’m sorry, I don’t, as I haven’t used it before. It’s probably in the header of the SVG file if you look in there.

If you have a sample file I’ll try to see if I can find the offending section in it.

I dig your work by the way. Would love to see more if you have an instagram or website.

Thanks @takitus! Here is one of of the files that I ran into the scaling problem.

tie-Fusion 360-outline

As for projects, here are a few sites that have various projects I have worked on fairly recently.
Instagram Profile
Etsy shop