Glowforge Interface - Vector Files Made Easy 🤔

i swear, i see so many issues with SVG files. i almost NEVER use them. i use PDF or just copy/paste straight from Illustrator. i’ve had one problem with a PDF in the 12 months i’ve had the GF. and i had one copy/paste problem, but that was a super complex file that i simplified and the problems went away.

i know GF recommends SVG, but i personally recommend PDFs.

1 Like

Yeah, reopening the zipped files resulted in similar displays to those shown by @shop and @geek2nurse…The snapmarks need to be scored, not engraved.

Does this just happen with Snapmarks files @laird? (I think you’re going to need to report it. I believe you can just open a ticket in Problems and Support now, they’ve started answering Snapmark related issues there.)

1 Like

Always super informative.

1 Like

I’ll give that a shot, thanks!

Is there a cheat sheet with the first 10 colors to be processed in order for engrave/score/cut operations? I have never had more than 5 colors in a file, but hey, someday I might have snapmarks and need to have more! :smile:

Chuckle! Actually there is…

4 Likes

believe it goes by hex values, so there should be 16,777,216 colors in order.

#000000 is first, true black.
#FFFFFF is last, pure white.

In order they are #000000, #000001, #000002… but you wont be able to distinguish between those with your eye :slight_smile:

This is how subtle shades of similar colors can bite you. Pure red is #FF0000, but visually so is #FF0001, and the GF UI will notice.

Anyway, more than you wanted to know I bet.

3 Likes

@evansd2 Ahh, I figured that would be - coders love hex math…

and yes, more than I wanted to know. Thanks @jules for the link! Searching ‘color order’ returns quite a few hits…

Guilty.

That being said, the palette that is in that post has an issue or two. There are two bright greens, and 2 blues that are very similar. I’ve been considering making a new version for myself with a little better color separation.

I’ve been able to get by with “select same…” and this palette, so it’s low priority.

1 Like

Easier than that if you are just running a dozen or so colors…darker ones print first, lighter ones last. I save orange and yellow for the outside outlines, do all the interiors in black-blue-green.

(It’s easy to remember, but I don’t need it often.)

5 Likes

In inkscape, select the object (text) then select “object to path” from the menu, this will convert the text to points and vectors. I call it stroking the text, (old term described below).

I generally, create the art, save in original (un-stroked or “oject to pathed”) to enable easy text editing later. Next select all text, use “ojject to path” to convert (stroke the text) and save with a label in name to identify as stroked.

Load the stroked file into GFUI and assign engrave settings for the “stroked text”

Background: the term I use: stroked comes from my old CAD/CAM days at Auto-trol a pioneer of CAD systems in the 70’s

Text was stored in the cad file with various meta data to identify font to be used and other text parameters. Problem was plotter software saw the acsii vales for text but not the Pretty font. The user had to select the text, and “ascii stroke” each instance, creating points and vectors to represent the target font style. CAD i. 1978… some things still need to be left to the designer to use their experience to accomplish.
We called this “The procedural interface”

1 Like

Sorry for typos and spelling errors, stuck in hospital bed, looking forward to release.

I have projects to do!

Forge on

1 Like

If you have lots of text objects, right-click on one of them and choose “select same…” object type. Should grab all the text in one go. Beats shift clicking all over the place.

I dont shift click, and in this example simple select all does the trick.

I saw this the other day and wanted to come back to the post and check out the files.

I can’t even open the files (that were in the zip) in Illustrator CC19.

It gives me this dialog box, which I don’t believe that I have seen before:

Every option fails to open it, and gives me an error of, “Could not read the file because the plugin could not understand this file.”

1 Like

I got this to work with one design and did another design the same way and it won’t do it for the other design. It jist keeps engraving the whole thing first picture picture it did it correctly second picture(just green) won’t do the effect of score inside engrave,
and I created the designs exactly the same. Can you offer any advice??

I have to think that the file is the problem. Filled shapes will get engraved. In order for anyone to help, you will probably have to share the file or share what your interface with operations looks like in the interface.

1 Like

You need to delete the inner shape from the outer shape in order for it to engrave like the first. The instructions you need start (in this post) here:

2 Likes

It is its made into a compound path but when I bring It into glowforge and make it engraved it shows all of it engraved

Is it possible you have a white fill instead of no fill? Could you share the file so someone can look at it and help you?