Glowforge Logo on PVC

I laser on vinyl paper as Glowforge Logo . then peel vinyl off around logo and put on PVC .

glowforge

20 Likes

A really nice detail on your installation!
I was and am consumed by glowlove. It has changed my life. That may sound shallow, but I had been dazed and confused since a forced retirement after a three-level spine fusion 5 years ago. Now I have something to point myself at. Learning design software, :no_mouth: and how to sculpt with a concentrated beam of energy. :thinking:

12 Likes

I can literally feel various forumgoers clenching and then unclenching when they read the title and then get inside and find out you were laying a vinyl decal onto PVC instead of firing coherent light directly at the PVC itself.

8 Likes

Really nice ventilation system dnix1955 and it looks even better with the GF logo. Well done! :slight_smile:

Well, you were half right lol. I clenched at the title and I’m still a little ferklempt becasue it kinda seems like there was firing coherent light directly at vinyl. (Vinyl = :skull_and_crossbones:) I was trying hard not to be an overbearing forum den mother by asking if it was laser safe vinyl. :smirk::older_woman:t3:

3 Likes

My understanding is that “vinyl” decal material is Still PVC and should NEVER! be put in the laser as it still will release toxins that can hurt the laser and you.

1 Like

Exactly

1 Like

Yes I heard it not safe to laser on vinyl. I setting 500/10 and thick .001 and it ran only 22 sec to cut. that all . Just one time and will not to cut again on vinyl. Thank for info!

3 Likes

Actual vinyl: completely safe.

Based on everything I’ve ever read, vinyl is hazardous and corrosive unless you have a machine specificity set up to handle it. Why are they all wrong?

I think what he’s saying is that it’s not the “V” in PVC that’s bad, but the “C”. Regardless, what is conventionally called “vinyl” is potentially very dangerous. I hope @wesleyjames edits his post to clarify that.

2 Likes

I mean Vinyl letters “Glowforge logo” on brown PVC pipe.

I suppose “actual” isn’t enough of qualifier to seperate the misuse of a term from what it actually is. :roll_eyes:

At that point I say buyer beware. Know what you’re doing as what I said is 100% accurate and true. The material vinyl is perfectly safe. If someone is selling mislabeled material, the responsibility of that is on the label maker.

1 Like

What is this material ‘vinyl’? I Everything I know I learned on Wikipedia and they do not list a material called ‘vinyl’. I am missing something, please enlighten me.

We’ve been over this before and you “liked” the post.

https://community.glowforge.com/t/use-vinyl-transfer-paper-as-masking-for-non-proofgrade-materials/11672/32?u=wesleyjames&source_topic_id=16432
1 Like

Polyvinyl chloride, also known as poly vinyl or vinyl, commonly abbreviated PVC, is the world’s third-most widely produced synthetic plastic polymer wikipedia: PVC

In popular usage, “vinyl” refers only to polyvinyl chloride (PVC). wikipedia: Vinyl

1 Like

I think the way that languages evolve means that “popular usage” always eventually wins. I think it’s pretty rare for the it to go the other way. You can still have the technical definition but it’s then only “accurate” or “actual” in the clearly defined context.

There are some words that we’ve given precise definitions for specific technical things, but demanding that popular usage conform to the technical definition just isn’t going to work.

Happens both ways, a technical term stolen by popular usage or a normal word given a technical definition. Either way, I think the speaker is obligated to acquiesce to the likely interpretation given the either technical or non-technical context.

“work” is defined as force times distance for some physics contexts, but insisting that is what it should mean in other contexts or even product advertising is both silly and unlikely to change popular usage.

Similarly, I think “vinyl” left the barn already. Even though it started as a technical term with a precise definition doesn’t mean it is any more likely to be taken back from popular usage. So I think for general conversation it is now a general term that includes things that contain chlorine.

3 Likes