Glowforge Material Manager Chrome Extension

With the original material manager I would make changes then select update. After the status light turned green, I would refresh GF in Chrome and the changes would show up in the materials list.
I tried the same with the new version with no luck. I also tried logging out of GF, Restart Chrome, and restart GF still no luck. However several times now when I went to select a material, all of my custom materials were there. But I don’t know what I did or how they got there.

Any Help ?

The GFUI now supports saving material settings. I think what you’re seeing is native GFUI, not the material manager. :slight_smile:

I am seeing the GFUI material settings. I can’t seem to get the settings that I have in the Materials Manager extension to move over to the GFUI materials list.

They won’t. You’ll have to put them in yourself. :slight_smile:

I know how to add manual settings to a material. But how do you add materials to the Materials list ?

Instructions here in the Support area of the app:

https://glowforge.com/support/topic/first-three-prints/working-with-manual-mode

1 Like

This is what I want to know how to do.

Oh, sorry.

You don’t…you add manual settings under the cut / score / engrave operations, and (at least how I do it) name them for the material they are used for. Here are some of mine:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, Glowforge didn’t implement their custom settings that way, they just let you save custom settings, not a custom material.

We’ll have to wait for @icirellik to rework his extension for that I think.

According to the author of the extension it has been fixed to work with GF. The updated version is 0.3.4.

Yeah…but that was back in Sept. Things could have changed again.

@icirellik

A big THANKS! for the update/rework/support for your extension.

Seriously, it works so well, it really does extend the natural workflow, I don’t know why the GF team didn’t adopt your style of integration for custom materials since your naturally extended the existing workflow.

I know it’s a pain to support stuff like this, it is well appreciated.

-J

Hi, does this mean id have to use the Glowforge on google chrome and not safari? or I should be using the app?

Edit: I’m not very good at computers so I’m making my husband install this for me, still some confusion. After installing it, how do I use it?

Edit 2 lol: I’ve read the comments and kind of understood that I have to enter the settings in the GFUI, so hopefully when I get around to it il understand it. if I’m wrong let me know.

And a big thanks for this. :+1:

1 Like

Starting out the step by step start is pretty simple and direct, I think that Safari will get you that far through my understanding is limited for IOS and those using it seem to find problems but also manage for the most part. So at least for starting out finding the GFUI on the web will do.

FYI Having this extension has started to break my GF UI. See: Infinite loop of "we're sorry, an unexpected error has occurred"

I believe to have fixed this issue just now. The plugin will automatically update within the next hour or so. Now, I just need to figure out why it was throwing errors.

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks!

Sorry to necro such an old thread but I’m curious—was this removed from the chrome store for any particular reason? I will probably build from source anyway, and may even open a few PRs for it if I find I’d like some additional functionality.

1 Like

Only guessing but probably lack of upkeep after gf built in a custom settings function.

1 Like