Glowforge noise dampening?

i don’t think fully enclosing the laser is a great idea.

1 Like

DIY Perks has some super videos. His LED panel videos are great.

2 Likes

It just hit me that a glowforge… or a coffee grinder… or a vacuum cleaner for that matter… in an office or room with an operable door already IS in a completely enclosed, double walled insulated (air) baffle box. So proof of concept is built into your existing workspace, pretty much. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That might work nicely. I just have to have a cat flap or something where I can reach in and hit the button to start it before sealing off the sound.

1 Like

Too true. And the double-wall with an air baffle does muffle the noise some, but not nearly enough for the fact that I live in an apartment and the thing is louder than my vacuum.

i mean i understand wanting to quiet yourself i guess, but you might also just ask your neighbors how much they can hear, and if it’s not much, not worry.

See, the comparisons to vacuums are interesting to me because no way is anyone gonna have a conversation in the same room with my vacuum going. Not a productive one at least, no way to talk over it.

1 Like

Just trying to be kind to the poor folks. Comparatively, I’m not concerned about the :glowforge: unless they bring a complaint to me. The coffee grinder, though, is insanely loud. It actually freaked me the first time running it. If I didn’t baffle it in a blanked box, it would freak the cats out.

1 Like

i know, i’m not suggesting this is a bad thing, haha! just that it would be nice if you didn’t have to worry or bother, and asking is cheaper than going ahead and building a monster baffle :slight_smile:

Well, a paper box is big enough to hold it and some blankets, so I’d expect I could make a dampened box even smaller with good sound baffles. The pile of towels framework seems to be pretty good for that.

If you can avoid spraying yourself with even more fire-retardant than is already present around you… do.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160412014002736

http://www.cpf.org/go/cpf/news-and-events/news/ffs-make-case-for-removing-toxins-from-flame-retardants/

1 Like

Downloaded a decibel meter app to my phone. I just had to find out.

Normally my apartment runs around 43 ‘Avg Quiet Home’ up to 62 ‘Ave Normal Conversation’. (The high end is most commonly when the AC or furnace are one.

With the coffee grinder INSIDE the box, and the phone just on top of the box, it peaked at 93.6, which was listed as ‘Average Foodblender’.

With the coffee grinder outside the box, it got up to 101.4 ‘Ave Diesel Truck’. It might have gotten higher, if I let it. I only let it run for a few seconds. (I also didn’t set the phone right on top of the grinder the way I set it on the box.) 101.4 gets loud enough to be heard very well outside the apartment and in other units.

I am curious what the Glowforge rates. @dan, do we have an operating measurement of the Glowforge from near the unit?

1 Like

I posted measurement numbers from the other day…

1 Like

Ah, got it. 75 shouldn’t be a huge issue. That was PRU, too. I might surround the unit with acoustic tiles, too. We will see.

you really have me wondering about my coffee machine now. or god forbid the vitamix. i tend to cover my ears if it’s on for more than a couple of seconds.

3 Likes

VITAMIX!?! IS IT LOUD??! SORRY --I CAN’T HEAR YOU!!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah – it’s pretty loud :blush:

5 Likes

Got my wife her Vitamix 17+ years ago. Still works well and hasn’t gotten quieter with age…

4 Likes

the wife or the Vitamix? lol, Just kidding :wink:

10 Likes

:laughing:

Got the wife 35 years ago and got the better part of the deal :thumbsup::thumbsup:

12 Likes