Glowforge Pro keeps changing my dash cut lines to solid lines? Anyone got a fix?

Can i set up a file to cut with dashed lines and not have it turned to solid lines when it adds my file to print?

What program are you making your dashed lines in?

In Illustrator and Inkscape the basic dash is just a line style (an appearance effect) and the underlying line is still a solid line. They have to be converted in to true dashes before sending to GF.

2 Likes

Inkscape. I was reading you have to convert it to a broken path but i haven’t found a way to do that yet?

1 Like

I’m an AI user but I’ve seen this discussed for Inkscape here:

5 Likes

I believe this is how it works:

Select your dashed oval, and go to…
Extensions/ modify path/ convert to dashes

3 Likes

ok ill try that and get back to you…TY for the info

Yeah that was the solution that I wrote back in 2019 in the thread that Ekla pointed you to, I don’t believe it has changed since then.

You can go even deeper down this rabbit hole with custom dash patterns and using stroke to path and whatnot.

Some advanced dash shenanigans can be found here:

That’s the best part about this forum, there’s so much that has already been written up, you can search for almost anything without having to wait for anyone to reply to a new thread.

1 Like

Here’s a simple tip.

There is no such thing as a “line” in SVG land. There are strokes and paths.

A stroke is a “style” - thickness/width, color, and (in this case) dashes. There are more options. All are applied to a path - think of it as the tip of the brush you would be using if your were “painting” this by hand.

The Glowforge only sees paths. It does not recognize style.

So to see what the GF sees, set (in Inkscape) your view to “Outline”. If you have a thick, dashed stroke, the outline will show it to still be fine, continuous path. That’s what the laser will follow.

Then you can flip the view back to Normal and apply the various options to “convert” to the desired result, and check what the GF will see by flipping back to Outline. On a Mac, it’s ⌘-5 to flip between view modes.

4 Likes

In Windows it’s (predictably) control-5.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.