Glowforge Pro Overheating

I stand corrected. I was basing it on being told multiple times you should never burn pine in a fireplace because it leaves “tar” up the chimney that can catch fire.

That’s probably a good idea if you’re going to be using the filter.

This graphic is from the FAQ on Glowforge.com, and uses 11 minute cuts as the control:

You can see the lowest is medium ply, since it uses a draftboard core. Sometime back, the thick plywood switched to some other type of core.

But, 175 eleven minute cuts in medium ply equates to ~32 hours of use before the filter is full. I can only imagine that the thick draftboard would be even quicker to fill it.

4 Likes

Hey, that’s a nice little chart…hadn’t seen that yet! :grinning::+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the further explanation. I was trying to figure out the huge discrepancy between medium and thick PG plywood!

Back in the days when I had a fireplace I had fatwood pine that was very full of resin and oak that was harder to light but burned hotter and longer. I would not try to laser Fatwood (longleaf) pine but getting a hot fire going quickly in the fireplace it worked well and being 2/3 oak that went on for hours after the other was gone, and did not have a problem.

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.