Glowforge safe vinyl

Hello
I ordered some decals that are listed as Glowforge safe from Ecofriendly Crafts.
Their sheets are PVC and lead free and safe for lasering.
Anyone out there worked with this product?
Thanks
Mike

3 Likes

I have never heard of this company or product. I hope you will report back with whether or not you like them.

1 Like

This is a bit unclear.

Does this mean that they’re pvc and that they’re also lead free, or does it mean that they’re pvc free and lead free?

2 Likes

They say it’s PVC free and laser safe. (I’m assuming this is the stuff @cmleblanc1 is talking about.)

And I’m not a big an of vinyl on shirts, but this color-shift stuff looks kinda cool

6 Likes

I’m guessing it’s like Siser’s laser safe “HTV” which despite vinyl in the name isn’t vinyl, it’s polyurethane based. If they’re making sign “vinyl” from PU in addition to HTV, that’s pretty neat. Vinyl you can laser cut for normal vinyl applications like signs, tumblers, etc.

3 Likes

I’ll just say that “laser cutting” stickers or iron-on sounds like a great idea, until you’ve tried it.

Separating from the backing when it’s completely cut thru is a royal PIA. I already had a cutter before the GF, I tried the GF on some iron-on that was laser-safe, and ended up throwing it away, and re-cutting on my cutter.

They’re cheap and compact. A laser isn’t the best tool for every job.

5 Likes

I concur. Right tool for the job. I’d use my cameo 4 plus for vinyl over the glowforge all day every day. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have used the Siser EasyWeed on the GF with fantastic results. I just wish I had recorded my settings as now my church is wanting me to do some “one off” designs but I’m sure it will be easy enough to figure out again. I’m getting ready to try the “glitter vinyl” so that I can also sublimate on it.

2 Likes

Most siser vinyl is PVC and lead free and can be cut on the glowforge. I watched several videos’ on YouTube of people using their glowforge to make stickers this way and decals which is why i bought mine, just got it yesterday so haven’t tried it yet but they say it does work,

if you put a laminate coating on the regular ones (non glitter) you can sublimate on those as well.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

Please do not consider YouTube or Facebook the authority on what is safe to laser. This forum is the place to be, and this thread is originally about a product from Ecofriendly Crafts, not Siser Easy Weed. As you say MOST Siser is vinyl free. I have used it. The issue is not whether or not Glowforge will cut or engrave the product, the issue is the PVC.

I hope you will share the decals you make. Congrats on getting your Glowforge. You are going to have lots of fun!

3 Likes

Ja… Failbook is the very last place you want to look for authoritative information on what’s safe to use. The only thing “official” is it’s officially full of idiots spouting inaccurate information…

6 Likes

I have hundreds of lamination sheets just sitting around collecting dust that now have a purpose again.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.