Glowforge shipping date, beta releases, and bonus materials

I have an x-carve as well, and I have to say Im glad I got the large size model. Ive already found that there were a number of modifications I wanted to do to it to upgrade its performance and capabilities. If you are looking for something a little more flexible, I would consider just going with the standard x-carve. You can continually upgrade those things until they are a completely different beast. They also cost quite a bit less and do the same thing as the carvey…

I didn’t really think about it until @henryhbk and @rpegg brought up the dust problem. I may be forced to go with the carvey since it’s enclosed. It would be nice to have extra room though

You don’t realize how monstrous it is until you build it (note if you aren’t a serious DIY type person the X-carve assembly is less fun). Coke for size reference, dust collection not in place. This was early just after assembly, and I modified mine with a PID controller (SuperPID) to allow 110VAC speed control, and upgraded to the X-Controller, The table is 4’ wide (1.2m) so you need space!

4 Likes

oh you definitely need to take dust into account. @henryhbk was 100% correct about MDF. I keep mine in my office though, and just use a dust shoe. I have 5 computers, a server, a projector, and an arcade machine in here. Theyre all pretty much spotless. Youll have to deal with dust if you use the carvey too… it will gunk up your machinery. There are plenty of dust shoes out there you can either buy or use. It was the first thing I got when I got my x-carve because I knew id be using it around electronics.

@henryhbk and I have almost the same table. I decided to keep my x-carve on the bottom because of the space it took up, but it works really well down there.

This dust shoe blocks everything the router cuts. I never have to clean up anything outside of the cutting area. Its worked really well. I want to get one that stays at the height of the Z-carriage instead of attaching to the router however, as it is so wide, it can run into the high parts of the piece when im cutting down low on a side. Either way, even with MDF a nice dust shoe should handle all of your containment issues.

2 Likes

I’m with you. Haven’t seen interest returns like people on here say in many, many years. Perhaps we just live in the wrong places…or aren’t holding our faces just right. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

(Sorry for a bit of duplication in this post that mirrors some previous posts.)

The email that I received said the following, " You can read beta user reports the forum now." When I read that, I thought it meant that I could now have access to the beta reports forum where beta reporters are testing the beta units and posting to each other about projects, successes, and troubleshooting. But when I followed the link in the email I received, it lead to the laser made category on this forum here [http://community.glowforge.com/c/laser-made]
—where there are a few posts about beta units, but nothing “new” per se that I hadn’t actually had access to before.

Revisiting the earlier quote, “You can read beta user reports the forum now,” it would appear that the “now” is not referring to new access to a forum to view, but instead refers to new posts being posted in a previously-existing category that I already had access to on this forum.

Can you please clarify this for me?

I understand not having the beta forum visible—
But I was wondering, if it is the case that we don’t actually have access to the beta forum now, but instead have access to posts about beta units in this forum—

Is it possible to create a specific category on this forum that is only for beta unit posting (or does it exist and I missed it somehow)? It would be so nice to simply go to one area to have information about GlowForge betas (the laser made category covers all sorts of posts across the spectrum of laser made items).

Yeah, owner of a Shapeoko 2 (precursor to X-Carve), here…

CNCs are loud, messy machines. Unless you have very good dust collection (a dust shoe for on-the-spot collection, or an enclosed box, or a general workshop area you can clean easily), you’ll quickly find that you’ve grossly underestimated the mess they can create. And some materials like MDF board are very fine and should have mouth protection.

Just like @takitus I only have a small work space available to me because I live in a condo. And his workspace looks eerily similar to my own, down to the same shopvac as I do… haha. I have to take my CNC out to the patio for any serious milling. But they can definitely be fun. You’ll learn all about over-reaching your spindle’s milling rate and such. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I appreciate the transparency, but I am very disappointed. My main concern is that the GF is top quality, with limited bugs, but I have to admit your “freebies” left a bit of a cold taste in my mouth. I got started down this path of my creative mode a few years ago with the Silhouette and then the Cricut Explore. When I bought both, the came with a bunch of extras, to help entice buyers. As of today, on HSN, you can buy a Cricut Explore for $299.95, that includes 6 months access to their Design Space software, 50+ Make It Now images, and 100+ digital images, and even some card stock. They frequently offer good sales, etc. to customers that simply give them an email address. So telling us faithful GF investors that we will now be offered $150 in supplies and $50 in the catalog, really is not that impressive. Based on your marketing and our faith, we have literally invested millions in GF, and it is the fuel that started and keeps GF going, so your “freebies” honestly left me a bit insulted. I completely understand that GF is in business to make money, so am I, but offering a 10% discount for less than a year, seems insulting. I would have been more impressed if Founders received a permanent 10% discount. After all, we are the ones patiently waiting and showing the faith. Not to mention, enduring a good amount of ridicule. When I tell people that I have invested thousands of dollars on something I have to wait more than a year for, they do not get it at all. And remember, we are the ones that will be telling the world about GF, we will drive future sales. I have studied marketing quite a bit, and I live by the notion that your customers will show you half as much love as you show them. Your remedy leaves me feeling that GF is a bit too greedy and doesn’t fully understand the sacrifices that Founders have made in this investment. I want to end by saying that I still have faith in the staff and product and hope that my honesty does not further delay my delivery.

1 Like

+1 on this

Such devastating news, my friend. I am so sorry. I can only imagine what I would feel like in a similar situation. I hold only the best thoughts for your niece.

I LOVED this little story. Would be a kick to see what Antique’s Roadshow would say when they saw all the extra signatures! :laughing:

2 Likes

Thanks for this information.

This can be considered by the European Customers.

I contacted them and they said that the shipping cost from Germany to France for example shoul be around 30 euro ! Of course when I read all the other posts regarding Mr Beam II we can understand it is the same powerful machine than the Glowforge.

Once again it can be considered for Europeans to avoid high shipping costs from US and of course the taxes we will have to pay once it arrives in our Country which is unknowned for the moment…

Of course if we won’t have to pay for high shipping and taxe rates the Glowforge is more interesting.

1 Like

The company secured 9 million in venture capital to launch and operate Glowforge for two years prior to presales. That is what started and pays rent and wages, not our investment.
No promises were made, just a projected timeline for delivery.
Forecasting future events, particularly for a machine under development is a crystal ball prediction and should be regarded as such.
Stories of startup failures abound, and I have yet to see an example of any company opting to take a 2 million dollar hit in an attempt to apologize and return value for the negative experience.

None of us are pleased with the delay, but look at it as an investment insuring a robust machine for your money.
The materials offered may contain some that I didn’t anticipate using, but exploring the 'forge’s capability will undoubtedly introduce me to the potential of many possibilities.

For the company to offer me this amazing machine at such a low price, I am very disappointed but in no way insulted - and still see outstanding value in my investment.
More than likely, I would have already blown that 2,000, so I see it as money in the bank.

5 Likes

Like others, I appreciate the honest, early notification of this significant delay. But, unlike many here this machine isn’t a toy for me. Nor, is it a crowdfunded curiosity. I need it and its unique combination of features and price-point to build a business.

As kindly offered as it is, the $200 worth of freebie materials and designs don’t really have any benefit for me. I’m not buying my Glowforge to make wallets and rubberband-shooting drones. I need something that will give me the ability to customize commercial metalwork for equipment racks, interface plates, property tags, etc… Frankly, I’d feel much better if that $200 could be applied to a credit to upgrade my Basic machine to a better one.

I’m not one of those who is understandably ready to cancel my order, but I am now faced with a serious issue of how to satisfy my laser engraving needs. It was tough enough waiting for until Q3 or Q4 of 2016. Waiting for Q1-Q2 of 2017 is far harder for my business. At this point, I’m just not sure what I am going to do. I recognize all of the virtues of GF, but time is a resource that I don’t have in infinite supply.

4 Likes

Apparently, I need to clarify. I didnt say I was disappointed in my investment, I said I was disappointed in the delay, but still favored getting the best product. What I am mostly unhappy with is the offer for Founders to get a 10% discount thru 2017. If I can buy a $300 Cricut Explore and they throw in $150 of digital designs just to buy it, as a Founder, spending $3K and waiting over a year, their offer leaves me feeling used. So after 2017, new customers will be treated the same as those that helped start the company. Clearly you work for GF, since you said you secured 9M in capital funding. If the crowd funding how no effect foe the future of GF, why do it? Basically I feel like Silhouette America and Provo Craft are better at showing customer appreciation and the investment is a lot less. You should take it as constructive criticism and not be so insulted.

2 Likes

So far as we know, there is only one Beta unit in member hands and there is not yet a public Beta forum. I’m sure you have already seen Josh’s daily posts. He is not allowed to discuss much in the way of capabilities or deficiencies of the Beta unit. Mostly just project examples so far. Yes, it might be useful to have a category to provide Beta info but at this point he is a population of one.

I am thinking that some people are actually referring to the interest they are paying on their credit card balance, not the interest they lost by paying cash from savings. At 18%+, that is adding up fast.
That said, I can’t agree with people saying the bonuses being offered are not bonuses because of this interest; the interest would still be there whether Glowforge was offering the bonuses or not - they are not related. Enjoy the bonuses for their intrinsic value, and maybe even consider the idea that they will offset some of that unrelated interest expense, albeit indirectly, if you are willing to let them.

1 Like

Thanks - Europeans are not that lucky in front of this situation - of course if we cancel we will have an
exchange rate difference but not in the best direction… for me I paid in late October 2,148 euro

Just to be 100% certain: You want to customize the metalwork using the Glowforge AND Cermark/Thermark… right?

Glowforge can remove anodized coatings and other such surface treatments, but can do nothing directly to any metal.

Apologies, I wasnt insulted, and i didnt mean to imply that. I don’t work for Glowforge, just repeating what Dan has said.
Quite a few people have had the impression that their backing is why Glowforge exists, when that isn’t the case. Because of that misunderstanding they feel justified in demanding better communication or some other precieved slight.
Just my personal opinion, but I still feel privilaged for the opportunity to participate in this program.

Just like everyone, I went into mild shock at the announced delay, and so I fully understand and appreciate the frustration of being let down - but in truth, I set myself up for it by assuming the delivery date was chisled in stone, and began making plans for it based on that assumption. That was my mistake, not Glowforge’s.
As to why do it, I think the resulting numbers justify the plan for pre sales!

Again, sorry if I seemed curt, that was not my intention, I’m in the same boat as everyone else.
We can all only see things through the lens of our own perspective. That is a result of our life experiences, so it is ours alone.
If I don’t identify with yours or you with mine, doesn’t invalidate either one. They are ours, and we are entitled to them. :ok_hand:

6 Likes