Glowforge shipping date, beta releases, and bonus materials

I recieved an email this week from Shapeways stating that they have re-launched their “hire a designer” program. It caused me to wonder what folks would think about a feature like that within the Glowforge community. I understand that the machine is well suited for folks with little to no design skills, and at the same time, I imagine there will come a day for some of those same folks who will eventually have a desire to connect with someone over a project outside the scope of their design capabilities. I know there will be tutorials floating around and Shapeways has those also along with forums which add to the knowledge base. Just another thought to add to the mix…

3 Likes

You’d be surprised, actually.

19 Likes

I had a Full Spectrum laser. I wouldn’t own one again. I’m upgrading to the GlowForge.

1 Like

As someone who has to eat gluten-free, I can’t stop laughing at this post. I have oft complained that gluten free food tastes like it was made with sawdust. lolol

5 Likes

Amen! I managed to stick it out for a couple months (with some very nice health benefits by the way, including a rather significant reduction in the waistline), but i gradually re-introduced small amounts. I feel for anyone who is stuck with it full time. :slight_frown:

1 Like

I went gluten free for a year so I could develope yummy recipes for a friend with celiac. I made some quite yummy things…some I will still eat even though I’m not gluten free anymore.
Cakes, muffins, bread, cookies, breaded chicken, fried chicken, egg rolls, pierogies, pretzels, pies just to name a few…lol
No reason people with celiac cant enjoy food like the rest of us.:grin:

7 Likes

Sharing those recipes would be a serious form of artistry, and I am not exaggerating! (hint, hint)

Maybe even starting a separate thread for it…we’ve got time.

5 Likes

If you’re willing to share your recipes, you might just become my new best friend. LOL!

Because of gluten being hidden in almost all processed foods (that would normally not contain gluten) under fancy names like “maltodextrin”, “hydrolized vegetable protein”, etc., I make almost everything from scratch. Making edible substitutes for foods normally full of gluten (like breads, pastas, pies, gravy, etc.) is much more difficult.

Ok I’m done hijacking this thread now. My apologies to everyone.

2 Likes

I’ve found an amazing alternative to gluten…Beef!

13 Likes

Yum! Agreed! And I have a simple pork carnitas recipe that is good enough to keep eating even if you gluten!

(And I’m sorry, but my mind just flashed to laser-crisped pork carnitas!) Sigh!

6 Likes

Would you care to share?
In all seriousness though, I’ve never really had a problem with gluten, but did used to notice feeling a bit bloated after eating bread. The other half now makes sourdough bread every day and eating it feels so much better.
He says it’s something to do with slow fermentation and blah, blah, blah.

1 Like

Absolutely, but I’ll start another thread for “Laser Inspired Recipes” or something so we can let this one go back to it’s original purpose. (Sorry all.)

2 Likes

So to continue with the derailing, but speaking as a Brit here. I’ve often heard mention of Egg rolls (movies, etc) but a question has just sprung to mind. What are they?

Think they call em spring rolls in the UK. American Chinese food.

2 Likes

:thumbsup:

5 Likes

OOoooo, I does loves a Spring Roll.
Reminds me of stumbling back to my digs after a night in the pub when I was at University.

1 Like

Yeah i often thought of writing a cook book… a lot of the recipes are paleo or what’s best for you using Bean flours and nasty stuff LOL mine are the not good for you gluten-free treats that you are longing to have.
I have quite a few on my Instagram page and some other recipes as well but I’ll see about putting together some of my favorites

1 Like

I’m not gluten intolerant, but what you said: [quote=“bridget, post:590, topic:1908”]
sourdough bread every day and eating it feels so much better. He says it’s something to do with slow fermentation and blah, blah, blah.
[/quote]

reminded me of a great Netflix documentary call ‘Cooked’…by the botanist Michael Pollen. It says exactly that about sourdough and other fermented food. If you’ve not see the video, I recommend it highly.

4 Likes

The health benefits of fermented foods are exactly what drove me to make my own beer. :innocent:

9 Likes

Yes. We can just say the the Glowforge is going through a secondary fermentation. The best foods are fermented. It takes time. But always worth the wait.

10 Likes