Glowforge shipping date, beta releases, and bonus materials

@tedv, did you use this link to request your refund?

I’m out too. The original vague wording sounded like Dec 2015 shipping, now Dec 2016. I’ll take a refund and give someone my hour 5 purchase slot. When / If this actually becomes a product I’ll happily re-purchase if the pricing remains reasonable and the reviews are 'glow’ing. Until then I’ll tuck that money back safely in the bank.

Best of luck!

As it turns out, there are several companies offering laser filters. Trotec’s is called “Atmos”.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=laser+fume

1 Like

@bailey, I never received this email…anywhere, and I have searched. Actually, I haven’t gotten an email from you guys unless it was a direct email back from me. I think there may be a problem somewhere, can you help me fix it?

I have been following this thread since it was posted and figured you guys got pretty swamped, so I waited to post this.
Thanks!

did you get anything refunded via GF lately? apparently that unsubscribes you from the email list by accident. I think theyre working on fixing it

1 Like

Nope. I had a problem when I made the order…I missed the m in .com with my email. That was fixed months ago, but I’m still not getting any emails from Glowforge.

I suggest you email support@glowforge.com directly, I bet that gets better response time than this forum.

6 Likes

I don’t think that they have to add credibility to the product. They have already sold all of us right? Sure, a few may decide to back out, but if a major snafu like this one only causes a minuscule percentage to drop out, then I don’t see them being in any financial trouble over the issues that you bring up. I mean, eventually they will have to produce training materials, and I’m sure a bevy of YouTube channels will pop up once people get their lasers, but in the meantime, I want the GF team focused on getting my laser to me, not producing videos that will likely be irrelevant when the final product ships because the GUI has changed fifteen times. Live video is cool too, and they have done that in the past, but primarily during the crowdfunding campaign, and they don’t need to sell it any more. They have all of us, and “more people get in line every day”.

Personally, I am happy to get the little bit of insight that we get from the beta tester, and I’m sure that at least a couple more beta testers will join the ranks before the final product ships out. And I’m happy that we get little peeks at Laser-Thursday productions.

7 Likes

Morgan,

I cancelled our order in this forum and received a promise from Dan that same day that we would receive a refund within a few days.
Please don’t drag this out, we’re need to purchase another cutter in time for our youth programs.
Please see below.

Regards,
Ted

To: Dan Shapiro
Subject: Re: [Glowforge Owners Forum] [Announcements] Glowforge shipping date, beta releases, and bonus materials

Glowforge et al,

It’s been 8 days. Where is the refund?
Regards
Ted

At 12:16 AM 4/20/2016, Dan Shapiro wrote:

[] dan Staff
April 20
[]erin:
Should I contact support again?

Yes! They’re busy but will get you set straight.
[]tedv:
We’ll need the funds to make a purchase. When may we expect the funds to be returned to us?

I’m so very sorry. We’ll process it immediately. We suggest waiting 10 days, but it’s usually just a few.

After a long discussion with my partner, we too are going to have to cancel our order. We had pulled much of our finances to pre-order the unit for $4,970 USD, a cost that zapped our savings. We were looking forward to getting it this year and waiting until March 2017 and most likely it being delayed beyond that just will not work for us. We will invest our money elsewhere and pay the debt we incurred to purchase it. The ‘freebies’ just won’t cover the cost of the wait.
If by December it appears things are on schedule, we will probably try to pre-order it once again. But we just can’t afford to wait till March 2017.

Sorry the cards fell that way for you. Good luck!

2 Likes

Sorry to hear your financial situation is what it is. :frowning:
Hopefully once you get back on your feet you’ll consider coming back to us, or the increased competition in laser cutting means everything becomes more affordable for you when you’re ready again. We’d love to see what you come up with!

3 Likes

I am staying in. Delays happen and I appreciate all the work that has gone into keeping us informed. What’s a few more months to be the first to have a GF. Gives me more time to dream.

14 Likes

Hi guys! The delay is sad. I was planning the gf in our stopmotion studio. But i understand some things good take time. I hope the psu will work also in Europe (belgium)

Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Just came back from vacation and finally caught up on all of the posts. My main concern/question, after reading all of the responses from Dan, as well as others: can GF guarantee that all the major kinks will be worked out, and, come Dec 2017, there won’t be another ‘Sorry but there’s another delay due to SOME issues’? The transparency that I was talking about in my emails to customer service, as well as my post here, should be more detailed and present on these forums. In fact, there should be a separate section where only GF staff can post (without any posts from users), where the GF staff makes certain issues/problems known publicly, as well as how they are working to resolve them.

Example (completely off the top of my head): “We found out that the power supply overheats after 48 hours of continuous use and the GF shuts down. To eliminate this problem, we are developing and testing a new more robust power supply, which we will be testing from June 1 until June 30th.”

Something like that isn’t too much to ask for, especially when you’ve plunked down 2-4K on a machine which you don’t even know is functional AS PROMISED. The update in the email (and this post), which starts with “…due to schedule delays…” doesn’t cut it (no pun intended), because it tells us nothing: what are the scheduled delays, why they happening, etc.???

I want the GF, and I’m willing to wait one more time until the NEW promised delivery date. But if there’s another delay, and a vague explanation that doesn’t explain why the new delay occurred, I won’t be one of those patient people anymore.

6 Likes

Hi

i am no longer want my Glowforge reservation cause your terrible delay shipping

pls refund my money back

Thank!

leo

@Bigwildman1, here is a link for you to start the process for cancellation.

5 Likes

Or you could just go list it for sale for more than you paid for it when it ships…and then realize how awesome it is and that you don’t want to sell it and end up using it and having to delete your craigslist post because you’re tired of your cell phone getting blown up.

13 Likes

No. As we’ve said all along, we will always hold quality over schedule as our top priority, and there is always some catastrophe that could break our schedule.

13 Likes

There is a practical problem with giving us a heads up about delays, which is that nobody knows beforehand how long the delay is going to be.

While I’m sure they knew the power supply was going to delay delivery long before they announced it to us, they didn’t know how much it was going to delay things or how to revise the schedule until the problems were solved in mid April - at which point they revised the schedule and gave us the bad news.

They could have sent out an email in December to say “well, our power supply is holding things up and may delay delivery, but we currently have no idea how much or when we will know more, so… just stew on that for a few months!”, with predictable results. I’m glad they didn’t.

They do explicitly address what the delay is and why it happened in that email:

while there have been many ups and downs, we hit one problem we just couldn’t get past in time - our power supply. Although it was scheduled to be complete in November last year, we’ve only just received units that met our stringent performance, safety, and reliability requirements.

and

We’re moving our delivery schedule to December

As somebody who enjoys (and occasionally suffers) extreme curiousity, I definitely sympathise with your desire to know more specific details of the development process, but Glowforge is never going to release that kind of information and for good reason.

You can always distract yourself with your own projects and delays :slight_smile: With luck you may even become so distracted that you forget you ordered the Glowforge until it turns up on your doorstep. A self inflicted Christmas present!

12 Likes