Glowforge shipping date, beta releases, and bonus materials

“10 business days” to issue a refund seems like an awfully long time, btw. I’m a bit surprised.

I work with a well known company, and when we have to issue a refund, it is not a matter of the delay on our end, it is normally a delay in the financial institution of getting the charges reversed. Often 7-10 days is quoted, but the process can be quicker.

11 Likes

Hey guys could you please let me know if the PSU will work in Europe? Thanks!

1 Like

I know the power supply is designed to accommodate the EU standards, and that the CE certification is part of the plan along with UL, but the status of those certifications hasn’t been announced as far as I know.

3 Likes

@dan I really do not understand, if you say that “will ship INTERNATIONAL orders based on order dates” you are saying that;
you are sending on december de first units and my unit will be send on january -or- febrary (after the domestic shipments are arriving safely) … or will be after MARCH like if I will had bought after the crowdfunding campaign.

by the way, my purchase was before the crowdfunding campaign ended.

Sorry to be so intense with the topic.

I don’t think there is any other way to read the most recent shipping plan. I believe the intent is that ALL crowdfunding (30 Day) units are scheduled to be complete by December 30th including the international orders. That just means that the company needs to make sure the domestic units are arriving safely before starting international shipments. So if yours was the 10th order it will not necessarily be the 10th of the pre-orders shipped in that batch. But you should receive it by December 30th like the rest of us. Of course that’s just the plan and never a guarantee. Seven+ months out on an Engineering/Marketing plan is not likely to be any more definitive. But it’s possible you’ll get a official answer.

7 Likes

With all the talk about how updates are not necessary, or that updates might sour some people and cause them to cancel their pre-orders, and the scarcity of beta-testing reports, I just thought this might serve as a good example of a Kickstarter startup’s one of a few updates they shared with their backers:

Just saying that updates would not dishearten me, they’d actually show me that progress is happening and things are moving in the right direction. Note: I did not back that above product, I just saw a video that featured five new machines, and checked out one of them.

I personally did not consider a screen shot of the UI to be any news at all. Just my opinion, that’s all!

1 Like

Just be careful not to fall into the Pebble or Oculus trap. Perfect is the enemy of good. Most everyone needs & expects good. Perfect isn’t possible. The trick in product development is knowing where along the continuum to declare done :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Amen!

1 Like

Please remember Dan, that some of us are retired. We understand perfection is just a dream and we would really like to have the GF before we meet He who is perfect.

10 Likes

Nearly the first question Dan answered after the announcement was mine, whether he would consider releasing a minimal function version, just vector and simple engraving, once the hardware was certified. He answered “sort of yes, but they could do better”. I think this is our guarantee against further slippage.

5 Likes

I had the same issue – mistyped .cim instead of .com and didn’t catch it.

Dan said to email support and let them know about the issue. When I did, they got back to me right away and let me know they were looking into the problem. I haven’t heard anything else and I don’t know if the issue is resolved or not yet, but you should probably let them know you’re having the same issues.

In case this helps anyone who’s wondering if they’re getting all the messages…

I’m guessing I’ve received all the messages sent since October 25th or so (which is when I placed my order) and I’ve only received four or so*. I haven’t noticed any typos in my order info and I haven’t had to contact support for any reason, so I’m assuming I’m receiving everything that is sent out.

One caveat: at least one message from Glowforge has been sent to “spam” by my email client. I’ve been scanning my spam folder for “Glowforge” and “Dan”, but it’s possible I’ve missed some (I get ~100 spam messages a day, so I don’t want to take the time to read every sender/subject; I hope I haven’t missed any).

* looks like I’ve received exactly four…

1. “Glowforge Purchase Confirmation” (Oct 25, '15)
  2. “Latest update on shipping” (Nov 23, '15)
  3. “A gift while your Glowforge is being made” (Dec 23, '15)
  4. “Glowforge shipping date, beta releases, and bonus materials” (Apr 19, '16)
7 Likes

Thats pretty much what I’ve received too. They dont send many…mostly they seem to rely on the forums to get the info out.

5 Likes

Correct, thanks @rpegg.

I hope you haven’t heard that from someone at Glowforge. You may be thinking of our policy of sending email updates only rarely, and using the forum as our main form of posting updates. Note that, if you prefer, you can get forum announcements in email too.

We are putting a major electrical appliance in people’s homes. We take that very seriously. We’re not going to ship until we’re certain that the quality is what you expect and deserve.

That said, if we can ship sooner at the expense of features, we’ll do that.

Touche!

It’s already better than that, and will be better still before we ship! But as you’ve gathered, if we have to ship without a particular software feature, we will - then update to add it.

24 Likes

Will the items we make with our GF’s be GlowForgeries!

Joe in Tacoma, GFPro

12 Likes

Gotta say this is one of the really cool parts of doing almost everything in the cloud. Every morning GF users can wake up and find out their machine can do something it couldn’t do the day before. (OK, not every morning)

8 Likes

Totally agree, fusion 360 is like that. Sometimes just bug fixes but often new and better.

4 Likes

If you are interested in class 1 desk top laser engravers I have 2 small units (500mW 6 X 8 inch and 2500mW 12 x 15 inch) that I have sitting in the garage which I am not using. If someone is willing to pay shipping from here in Virginia Beach you can have them. They are not any where as near as sophisticated as the GF. I have all the drivers, the GcodeSender, JPEG converter software etc. on DVD. I also have power supplies, USB cable and laser protective glasses.

Here are pictures of the two devices.

If you are looking for Open Source software to convert pictures into SVG files check out Inkscape https://inkscape.org/en/.

12 Likes

Where are you in Virginia beach? Can I come borrow one for a bit? I live in Virginia beach and can come pick it up?