Glowforge shop is sold out of most materials?

I visited the Glowforge shop for the first time in several months, and discovered that most of the materials seem to be sold out? Does anyone know how long it’s been like this, and when things will be restocked? I searched for information about this, but the best match for “sold out” I found was from last year.

-Ryan

1 Like

They have an email notification that you can sign up for to be notified when a product is back in stock.

(Ever since the pandemic occurred the supply chain has been disrupted. It’s like that pretty much everywhere, so get into the habit of buying in bulk when you can find something.)

Thanks, Jules. Are you able to characterize the materials supply shortages in the Glowforge shop over the past few months? Like, is it an intermittent issue, or 90% of the time, or ?

I’m wondering if I should wait a week or two for notifications on the various materials I’ve requested updates about, or if it’s more likely that I’ll need to find another supplier, if I want materials within a few weeks.

Truthfully, just no way to tell right now. I placed an order for some Basswood Ply that was a few weeks wait before they got it in, and then it sold out pretty quick.

I was kind of shocked to see that they are dry on just about everything last week when I peeked in, but I didn’t need it badly so didn’t sign up.

It might take a while to get back to normal. (It probably would be a good idea if you sign up for notifications that you buy more than you think you’ll need when they notify you it’s in…a little inventory is a good idea right now.)

1 Like

Definitely been this way for at least a few months, as Jules mentioned, between more people being home, supply chains being interrupted, and now the holidays coming up, the store has seen better days.

Funny enough, Jules’ suggestion of buying in bulk when available is probably a large part of the problem when they do get stock, but it’s a great tactic if you’re able to get in when it’s there. It’s a vicious cycle, now, where similar to the earlier days of people panic buying TP, people are now panic buying materials that will sit on their shelf for months or years (speaking from experience 🤦🏽).

4 Likes

As noted I would go with both. buying bulk not only makes ready supply but makes shipping less expensive or free, which can be a major cost.

Just let me know if you need any TP. :smile:

2 Likes

… or tissues! :smile:

2 Likes

I’m sorry that we don’t have the materials that you want in stock! Due to a combination of challenges with inventory due to COVID-19 and unprecedented demand, we’ve had a hard time keeping Proofgrade materials in stock.

Though I know my colleagues are working hard to replenish, I don’t have any information about when materials will be available. Signing up to receive an email notification for the items you are looking for is the best way to go.

In the meantime, if there’s a Joann near you, they may have the Proofgrade materials you want in stock, and many locations are offering curbside pick-up.

2 Likes