Glowforge stops and restarts mid-job

I’ve had my GF for almost 2 years and use it very regularly. A new thing started up tonight where it keeps stopping mid-job (fans stop) but then a few seconds later it starts back up. It is currently on an hour-long job and has done this cycle about 10 times now. What’s going on?

Overheating? Any lights?

It doesn’t stop – just the exhaust fan. The laser still goes. Maybe it is time for a cleaning again, but I find it scary that it keeps cutting/engraving without the exhaust going and find it strange the fan stops and restarts itself. It must’ve done this cycle more than a dozen times before the project completed.

Sounds like either the power source, wiring or fan itself heats up and looses contact until it cools and restarts. Do you have a meter? Perhaps you could check?

That’s a bit beyond my capabilities (and tools) unfortunately. I will try to give it a thorough cleaning again to see if that helps. My main concern was that it was still lasering without any exhaust at all and wondered if there is typically a check for that within the hardware/software for safety reasons. Luckily I cut and engrave at low power most of the time.

It’s not really dangerous - might get a bit smokey, but I don’t think it would elevate the risk of fire… Maybe the fan is really dirty?

I greatly appreciate the feedback and help! I will look into it for sure. I did a deep cleaning recently but maybe it could use another.

you do want to correct this as everything will get dirty quickly inside. Maybe try reseating the cable plug for the fan?

Edit: is the exhaust hose routed nicely? not kinked/ blocked?

Hose is good to go. I will clean and reseat the cable before doing any more projects for sure.

Good luck, Try a new fan???

Edit: or use this as an excuse to do an external fan!

Got a link to a good replacement fan just in case?

People seem to like the Viosun 4" or 6" Do a search on this forum & I’ll take a look too.

OK, this:In Line Fan - Just Do It

This one looks good quality: AC Infinity CLOUDLINE S4, Quiet 4” Inline Duct Fan with Speed Controller (Amazon) More money, but gets good reviews.

2 Likes

I actually have two fans, the one you linked to, and this one. Both work great and haven’t noticed any benefit over the other, but this one is a little more cost effective:

2 Likes

Thanks! This one requires a reducer, correct? From 6-4"?

1 Like

Yup!

1 Like

We just received the AC Infinity Cloudline S8 this week…that baby sucks! …in the best way possible. :crazy_face:

It gets better reviews than the Vivosun in terms of longevity, but it costs more than double. I am going to order the AC Infinity Cloutline S8

I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble with the exhaust fan. I would recommend cleaning the fan to see if the performance is improved.

First, you’ll need to obtain a can of 3M Novec Electronic Degreaser, which you can purchase from Amazon or Digikey.

That page will walk you through the cleaning process. Brief summary:

1. Turn off and unplug your unit and move it outside. Make sure it’s in a location where it has power and Wi-Fi

2. Using the fan maintenance page, you’ll be able to turn the fan on

3. Following all manufacturer’s safety instructions from 3M, spray the degreaser into the fan while it’s running for approximately 5 - 10 seconds, or until the fan is clean.

4. When you’re done cleaning, turn off your unit to stop the fan, and return it to its usual home. You should now see considerably better performance from your exhaust fan!

Please let us know if are still having trouble after cleaning the fan.

It’s been a while since we’ve heard from you, so I’m going to close this post.

If you are still having trouble, please start a new post or reach out to us at support@glowforge.com - we’ll be happy to take a look.