Glowforge Talk Show #9 | "Has your cat press the button yet?"

no, taxes are on top, including the extra for taxed shipping.

I don’t “need” the filter because our craft room/man cave has windows for easy venting… but Captain Awesome insisted that we had to have it - “just in case.”

He is a very organized person and well prepared - I’m there sparkles, rainbow, sunshine, I’ll figure it out when I get there…

2 Likes

No - money wasn’t the issue, I wanted the machine sooner was more of the driving force behind my US shipping reason.

Also - I don’t believe the CBSA will tax me on shipping. Last year I had car wheels shipped to the mailbox and I went to pick it up. CBSA only taxed me of the wheels - not shipping.

2 Likes

Didn’t realize that for Canadian owners that $400 plus for shipping and then tax was a separate expense.

Don’t forget our sad dollar exchange rate on top!

1 Like

don’t get me wrong, i would adore to be wrong, but i assume they’re not bringing them in in quantity for in-country disbursement. it looks like i’ll have to pay ~ $230 on delivery, which is better than some things i’ve bought! :smiley:

probably not, i mostly mean you get hit with that when you order stuff for delivery here.

1 Like

Ditto this! :cry:

Funny, I was just reading this article when I read your comment… and laughed uncomfortably.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the brokerage fees that the shipper will charge you as well if you have it shipped to Canada. That’s the one that worries me the most, because they are not “fixed”. UPS has charged my wife as much as 90% of the price of the item to brokerage it across the border (they charged her $80 on a $90 book). It’s very difficult to estimate this brokerage fee.

As @dan_berry has mentioned in another thread, you can reject this fee and “self-brokerage”.

So the final cost of the GF for Canadians is:

GF Cost + Exchange rate (add 20% of GF price) + $603 Shipping + Taxes at the border + Brokerage Fee.

If I remember well, the approximate $4000 price for the GF/Filter will actually cost me more than $6000.

And I’m sure it’s probably way worse for our friends that are across an ocean. So when an overseas customer is griping about shipping, keep it in mind that they probably paid several thousand dollars more than the average US customers for the same machine. (and their warranty does not cover shipping the machine back if there is a problem, and shipping Proofgrade material will also cost an arm and a leg).

4 Likes

Good show! Sorry I couldnt make it… im still in bed with a sore throat drinking smoothies. Hadnt even thought about MFNY yet. I guess that is coming up soon!

3 Likes

depends. if it’s ups ground, it’s 20% of the item value, including shipping, not including duty. ups express has free brokerage. fedex is between the two. and as has been mentioned you can do the brokerage yourself if you wish, but it can be complicated.

20% of $4000 can buy you a LOT of proofgrade!

2 Likes

I’ll say it publicly because I’m no stranger to looking the fool…

Last night, since, as far as I could tell, I couldn’t rotate something in the GFUI, I ended up opening the lid, rotating my material, then closing the lid, waiting for the image to update, then repeat until satisfied. It was a little painful. These things need to be clearly documented by the company.

2 Likes

preach. which is why i’m hoping to avoid ups ground :smiley:

But most times, it’s not you that decides the shipper, but the person shipping. For example, GF might say “we only use UPS ground for shipping”. Then we’re stuck with it.

yes. that’s why i said i’m hoping, not i’m planning to. these days i do a pretty good job of figuring out who’s going to send what by how; i don’t like surprises. :V

Yes! Exactly! Another reason why I’m picking it up and clearing the items myself!

1 Like

So, so sorry. Until I saw you quoting my post, I didn’t realize I wrote “can” instead of “can’T” No excuse for that error.

you CANT at this time as far as I am aware rotate a bitmap in the GFUI.

You CAN rotate a vector object though.

3 Likes

No worries. Thanks for the unfortunate correction. Actually it was a vector last night anyway. :grin:

Enjoyed your conversation @karaelena (Yves), @henryhbk (Henry), @rebecca and @polarbrainfreeze (Ben).

This is the first one I’ve watched since everything is starting to feel more real now. Keep it up!

1 Like