Glowforge updates: the road to production

Now I went a little over the top and picked up one of the 100w redsail look alikes and sometimes wish the software would out put exactly as I drew my designs in CorelDraw x5 but so far everything I layout in my copy of Auto Cad 2012 cuts perfect. Does anyone know of any good inexpensive upgrades for this, maybe a way to use Corel laser with this unit, and one last question is there a good step by step to setup the friction rotory attachment?

5 Likes

A new DSP will allow you to run other software like laserweb. You can pick them up on lightobject. You should also inquire in the x700 clone group on Facebook. A lot of people there with the same machine

6 Likes

I infer that my GlowForge should be shipped to me by the end of the month. I havenā€™t heard anything concrete/official (to me!), so can anyone confirm this?

itā€™s unlikely unless youā€™ve received an email indicating that. you should read these two updates if you havenā€™t already:

3 Likes

You should have received an e-mail on the 7th with the message that @jrnelson linked to above. If you didnā€™t, that may indicate a problem with your ability to receive messages from Glowforge. You want to whitelist glowforge.com. Check your spam filter to see if it went there. Otherwise you want to ensure Glowforge has your correct e-mail address.

I receive messages from GlowForge. None have gone to Junk. I did receive the ā€œshipments underway,ā€ just nothing specific to me, other than that. I worry that there may be some sort error in the records.

You should email support@glowforge.com if you didnā€™t get an email titled ā€œGlowforge shipments underway, schedule update, & moreā€ on June 7th.

No, I understand. You received the ā€œshipments underwayā€ email but are expecting something announcing your individual unit. That has only happened so far for a very, very small number of people that ordered early the first day. It will come in due time.

1 Like

yeah, shipping is just a little slow. gotta be patient, young padawan.

edit: whoops, replied to @rpegg lol

1 Like

At the rate they are going you will probably never see a glowforge much less upgrades. lol I ordered mine in March of 16 thinking i could expand my product line and 14 months later the only thing I have is Dan saying I will have mine by Nov 17. If I ran my business like they ran theirs I would be out of business.

i see this a lot. thereā€™s a big difference between the sort of small-scale individual manufacturing youā€™re liable to be doing and mass-producing a complicated piece of tech. not to mention that if you ran your business like they ran theirs youā€™d have millions in vc funding and thousands of orders.

donā€™t get me wrong i like to complain (mostly about communications) but i donā€™t think this argument makes a lot of sense.

9 Likes

I understand they have a different business model than I do but they should still hold themselves accountable for what they say they are going to do. Had they said i was going to have to wait 20 months or more for their product when I ordered it I would have looked elsewhere. If Iā€™m not earning money then Iā€™m losing moneyā€¦ I donā€™t like to complain but Iā€™m a small business and expect to see a return on investment within a reasonable amount of time and itā€™s aggravating when Iā€™m fed a new line of bs every six months. I donā€™t have crowd funding to pay wages so I can make my house payment,car payment, or buy food.

1 Like

How often do you invent new hardware, source it out to be built and then create new complex machine level software & a new cloud based user control system?

Their performance is not atypical of most large-scale software projects Iā€™ve seen or been involved with. Not to mention the hardware component going on at the same time.

But if youā€™re not in that business, then you might be right about yours. If you are, then Iā€™d love to hear how you do it better because Iā€™m always trying to figure out how to get just the software piece on schedule, on budget and with quality. :smile:

4 Likes

neither do they, they went out and got vc funding - which is why anyone has always been able to get a refund at any stage, which is unlike the majority of most crowdfunding projects. i agree, itā€™s been frustrating, and i donā€™t think anyone on here would really say otherwise.

so would have, i think, many if not most of their customers. i get that itā€™s been hard on many people who were counting on income (dangerous, in my experience, to just assume that youā€™ll be making money on it) from this purchase. iā€™m not going to go so far as to say that i think that was short-sighted, but i would advise anyone reading this to really think hard about whether depending on a startup with a vaporware product (iā€™m not saying the glowforge is vaporware now, but it certainly was in 2015) is the right course for your company.

kickstarter (this isnā€™t kickstarter, but itā€™s the same concept barring the vc fund) brought many projects forward that may have never gotten off the ground otherwise, but it made the process so easy that i think a lot of people view companies and products like this as the same sort of pre-order as reserving a game at gamestop. itā€™s really not, and roadbumps like this - naive CEOs and all - are very common.

presumably youā€™re sticking around because thereā€™s no way youā€™re going to find a deal like this elsewhere, despite the troubles and delays. butā€¦

i make no judgment on this statement but if you truly believe that, donā€™t you think a different laser would be better suited? i donā€™t think you should cancel, iā€™m not saying that; i think at this point the schedule is finally concrete enough that even glowforge isnā€™t going to delay again, and youā€™ll probably be happy with the end product. but you do have a business to think of.

1 Like

yeah, you have to think the ā€œyou will probably never see a glowforgeā€ comment is pure hyperbole, because if you truly believe that and havenā€™t taken advantage of the refund, then youā€™re the fool. and if you took advantage of the refund, you wouldnā€™t be able to be here and post.

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum @jwheatleather. Iā€™m curious as to why you joined just now? I canā€™t imagine how disruptive the delays have been to your plans. Iā€™m pretty sure from everything I have read in the forum and I have read every post for almost two years and have had a prerelease for six months and got to use a fresh production machine last month. I would not take any bets on the date of final fulfillment of the orders but when they do ship, they will be worth the wait. Doesnā€™t help you for the last year of missed opportunity. But I look forward to what people do with the Glowforge. My only caution would be to factor in processing time in any plans. I think the Pro will handle things faster as to cutting. But engraving is a going to be long whatever anyone does if time is money.

10 Likes

I didnā€™t take advantage of the refund because I thought it was coming in next month.

I just joined the forum tonight because I just found out there was another delay.

1 Like

Well, you know the answer to that one ā€“ and you have from the day you placed your order.

Hope whatever you decide to get helps you grow your business.

I agree. Weā€™ve done what we can to improve things for waiting, like including hundreds of dollars worth of materials and designs. Each month we fail you in delivering the product you paid for, we have to write a seven-digit check to operate the company without the revenue weā€™d get from shipping. It hurts us tremendously to be late, right in the pocketbook. That doesnā€™t minimize your loss, but at least you know weā€™re not happy about it either.

We could have shipped a product a long time ago, taken your money as profit, and be off selling. Weā€™ve repeatedly made the hard decision to keep working because we didnā€™t think your Glowforge was good enough for you yet.

Now we do, and weā€™re going to do everything we can to get it to you in time.

Iā€™m so sorry weā€™ve kept you waiting for so long.

38 Likes