Glowforge Volunteer Corps

The other side of the coin is to provide assurances for people who have no ideas on what to test or what to cut that there will be some guidance if needed.

Though really… if you haven’t got ideas of your own on how to try and break the thing… maybe you shouldn’t be signing up. And if you have no ideas on what to cut… why did you buy one?

And while I am talking about trying to break these… I hope testers remember that this is a GOAL. Be as cruel to the machine as is reasonable. Block up all of the exhaust ports (because you know eventually someone’s shop will be messy enough they don’t even notice there is no longer any air flow to the Forge). Run the machine for 20 hours straight. Block the exhaust with no filter installed. Shine a 10,000 W flashlight on the bed while the camera is trying to register the materials.

Anything short of utter stupidity (do not test if you can cut with the Forge in a bathtub filled with Lime Jell-O), should be tested. Ideally after testing anything less destructive you can think of. But don’t handle the beta unit with kid gloves. If something caused it to make a strange noise… do it again!

3 Likes

The FAQ mentioned that there would be no response at all unless you were chosen to be in the Volunteer Corps.

Why do you hate Lime Jell-O?

5 Likes

Casey, your understanding and obvious goodwill towards making Glowforge GREAT is so awesome to see!

1 Like

Hmmm. All testing falls under two categories. Destructive and non-destructive. I can easily turn a GF into a molten heap of plastic under unusual but normal use. The company might want to give us boundaries.

4 Likes

Being a maintenance and repair professional you just made me want to slap you. :wink: I’m willing to give the GF alot of use but there is no way I will run it out of normal specifications unless specifically told to do so.

2 Likes

I basically made the list by thinking “What would my students do that would make me cringe?”

And likely I would check with Dan and team before doing anything purposefully stupid. But if nobody tries the stupid things, we won’t have the REALLY needed caution labels in the documentation sent out with the machines (like “Scissors are sharp” and “Matches are flammable.” Fortunately the same science textbook forced to include those went the extra mile to inform you that while a rat dropped down a well will bounce, a cow will splash)

4 Likes

I feel your pain. However, in this case, they might want to test some safeties

2 Likes

I suppose you’re right. After all, how else would we know not to stare into the sun.

Ok. I just figured out how to get in on the Glowforge Volunteer Corps. “I promise not to intentionally break one of the company’s very few Beta machines”

1 Like

These days… With signs like this, seems people need to be told what to do.

1 Like

Either that or you have completely disqualified yourself…
Let us know how it works out!

2 Likes

:smile:

I think it’s best to leave some of the “stupid things that may break the machine” to the Beta testers that are closer to Seattle, to keep the shipping costs low.

That being said, if I’m part of the Beta testers, and the GF staff say: “We want to test it in the extreme cold, can you run it outside?” I’ll do it. I won’t be happy about it, but I’ll put my tuque on and do it. I think it’s really about finding out how the machine reacts to as many different stimuli as possible (please keep the “dirty” jokes to yourselves).

True, far better for someone who can drive over and get help with repairs. Or those of us capable of doing needed repairs ourselves (though they may prefer not to allow outsiders to do repair work, as future failures may be due to shoddy repairs)

Or perhaps that is a good test of how “owner serviceable” the units really are.

1 Like

Possibly, but likely those of us who are mechanically inclined will be tapped for those test jobs that can utilize our skills for changing out boards, adjustments and tweaks when needed.

Just noticed the name “Glowforge Volunteer Corps”, Has a snappy tune to it!, does this mean that we will have a General, Staff Seargent, Commander, Etc. I want to be a 4 Star General of the Lazer Corps!

1 Like

heh. Been a while since I lived in canada. That’s a beanie or knit stocking cap for us 'mericans.

1 Like

Take off!? You mean tuque is not a universally known word? Of well, I guess I’ll go sit on my chesterfield, with my Two-Four, eat some Ketchup Chips and hope the Glowforge will be assembled with Robertson screws.

5 Likes