Glowforge Volunteer Corps

Heh. First day of classes in Van, we asked about the best close place to grab quick food. teacher said to make sure we had a pocket full of loonies and toonies before heading out to eat at the street vendors. the three american students thought he was making fun of us. He was not.
I do miss ketchup chips. When I mention them to other americans they say it sounds gross. Then they put ketchup on their fries.:smirk:

Don’t forget the poutine, and to put a serviette on you lap!

As Americans, we eat French Fries with Ketchup, and Hoagies on the east coast of the USA. Sometimes with Scrapple.

And subs on the west cost… See, we can’t even agree on that… :wink:

1 Like

I can confirm that we’re big fans of Robertson screws at GFHQ.

8 Likes

I would be interested to try it out here in Las Vegas. I am a Direct to Garment Printer and decided to purchase this unit because I’m always looking for new products to expand my business. Full Spectrum Laser is based here in Las Vegas and I could have just gone there to get a Laser cutter, but Glow Forge really peaked my interest with the ease of use. I know nothing about laser cutting. This will help me get a better feel. I don’t want to call this an entry level machine, but it looks like a beginner like me would catch on quick enough.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing from your experience. Knowing the expectations of beta tests helps give me perspective. I volunteered for a beta test, but seeing these qualifications is a reality check. I can do it and make the time, but if there are folks who fit this better than me, they are sure welcome to a beta unit because that will make the final forge even better.

Hey, As long as folks take it seriously everyone will bring something to the table. Different experience levels would be needed. If anything you might well be more what they are looking for than someone like me. I don’t fit the category of either expert or newbie when it comes to laser cutters.

2 Likes

Will be notified when the beta program is over? Then I can stop holding my breath and pacing in anticipation to know if i get one. :wink:

2 Likes

An very interesting Glowforge tweet today.

3 Likes

It looks like 179 so far. I did think the application process was officially announced though.

I thought it was a pun referring to both applications to the beta test and the beta apps (software)… :wink:

Could be!

“owner serviceable” depends a lot on the skill and experience of the owner…

Just for you, if I get a beta unit, I promise to do this.

If you would like an international customer(UK) to test all aspects of the machine, international shipping process.(Basic) I would be more than happy to. I was pretty active on the forum(have been busy for the last month or so with work, but now I am much more free).

Availability:
I am free from 1pm 4week days a week and ofcourse evening and weekends. I break up from work(a school) on December 11th until jan4th so will be extra free.

Experience:
I am in charge of all the software/hardware at a school with about 300kids so I have a technical understanding of hardware/software. I am also very helpful to colleagues of all skill levels(some don’t even understand why you need a password for a computer) and also at documenting problems/guides. In my design work I am experienced at Inkscape and raster image programs(gimp, photoshop, fireworks). I am completely new to illustrator and the only 3d programs I have used is Maya and other games dev programs. I will be picking up CAD, illustrator and modern 3D tools for the first time.

Special reasoning:
As of 6th jan I will be running a weekly board games design club for 6-10year olds.(I will be doing prep work over the holidays) I was planning this term to have students use mix media to work in groups to design each aspect of a board game. Without a glowforge they will be using iPads/Chromebooks to get their first experience of graphics design, off of the computer they will be hand drawing and using physical media so I bet you can see how the glowforge could play a part(inside or at home with their designs and brought in).

I have big plans for my glowforge and would try out my plans on the beta one if chosen. Recap: technical, good documentation, lots of free time, in UK, lots of digital design experience(web/print media) but no experience of tools like glowforge.

Jack

1 Like

Jack, there’s a link to a form above in the first post of the thread. If youu haven’t read it thoroughly it would be helpful for you to do so. If memory serves me correctly they will not accept or even look at your post above as an application. Good luck.

2 Likes

I’m guessing that with these being BETA models we wouldn’t be allowed to take them to public places?
We’re intending to tour most of the UK maker faires again next year and the glow forge is certainly much more portable than our current laser cutters. Would you object to them being shown to the public (obviously it would only be demonstrated in a working capacity and discretely hidden away should it fail)

One of the questions in the beta application form pre-supposes that some of the units will be used in makerspaces. From the posts I have read from the Glowforge team, it won’t be a requirement that all beta testing be in private, only seen by those who are official beta testers. I am not sure how that will be worded in the agreement. I am open to other opinions and clarifcations about htis.

Yes true, but there is quite a difference between makers who frequent hackspaces (even on open nights) and general public who know nothing about lasers at all.
I think the New York maker faire demonstration was fantastic and massive queues show how popular it was and how good it would be if taken to other faires.