Glowforge Volunteer Corps

Good point. I’ve thought some more and wonder if the beta test protocol would be very specific about press interaction. I do think that setting up a Glowforge party for your local church or service organization would be pretty cool, like the Maker Faire demo.

1 Like

If that’s what you’re interested in doing, just include that in your application and we’ll discuss it with you if that makes sense. We’re basically looking for interested applicants to tell us what they want to do, then we’ll pick good matches.

4 Likes

There isn’t one beta program agreement - we’ll pick people based on a match between the unit, our goals, and their interests. Some people may be asked to keep it under lock and key; others may be chosen specifically so they can show it off.

2 Likes

I’m curious, will there be an announcement made when new Beta Testers are chosen? Or will the list of Beta Testers be be kept “secret”?

1 Like

@dan - you mention above matching beta testers by your goals and their interests. When I completed the test survey there was a “what do you plan on doing question,” but when I filled out the final questionnaire I did not see that question. I even clicked-back through it to see if I had missed a page. Will there be a second-round of questions for those you’re thinking of selecting, or did I really miss something?

I’m sorry to ask, but where is the application for the Beta test request??

@ryzendtgprinting

I am very interested in being a Glowforge Beta Tester. I have a background in engineering and management.

@dan I gotta tell you, the subject line of that last email made my heart flutter a little! “Beta Access: The Glowforge Volunteer Corps” Alas, it was an update, haha

Thanks for the update, I am super excited to see the process moving forward towards final production even if I don’t end up a fit for beta testing!

4 Likes

Would like to apply. Working on some cool lighting concepts so should make for some intetesting trial and error, and not to mention great photograpy of future product! Also plan to use for some fun projects for kids!

Make sure you fill in the application then: Glowforge Volunteer Corps Application.

You can also find it at the top of this chain, in the post from @dan

1 Like

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the updates!
Is there any specific experience required? (I’m a total amateur at making things: don’t have 3d printer, I’ve been to a few-weeks workshop).
Is the expected usage specific? (I’m planning to do a 50/50 usage 50% for own ‘geek’ projects and 50% for kid’s projects)
I’m wondering if I can qualify or if it will be a loss of time for Glowforge to have a beginner beta user (And yes, 10 hours per week is totally reasonable compared to the price of the investment).

No experience may be ok depending on what they need.

1 Like

If you read through the very first post on this thread (you may have to scroll up a few times) Dan describes all the reasons you should and shouldn’t apply. They seem to be looking for all kinds of people and all levels of experience.

1 Like

Very exciting! Quick question: because this is a Beta, and because we are a makerspace with public access, do we need to worry about public visibility? Obviously we can restrict public use, as it would require our permission to do so, but what about being in a publicly visible spot where pictures can be taken? Do you have restrictions on media coverage?

The questionnaire asks you to detail who the user(s) will be and specifically asks who will use them if it is for a makerspace. They have also said some users will be picked for their public exposure and others may need NDAs.

1 Like

I just want to put it out there that I’ll be the annoying guy hogging the Glowforge at the first Makerpace to get a Beta Unit. I don’t have the time to do the Beta testing but I have no problem with a drive to Seattle to “be that guy”.

Dans fist post answers just about every question, its obvious they spent some time drafting that post as a team.

If you would like to help in the beta, don’t worry if you are what they are looking for. Just fill out the application and be honest about it. Dan was pretty clear that they are looking for a wide range of user types to cover several user types and environments.

2 Likes

Crossing my fingers that our school gets the opportunity to be a part of the beta group!

1 Like

I wish I could help test, but being a complete 100% total newb I would be of zero help to anyone. A big thank you to all who volunteer and know that they are doing!

By the way, if by chance there is any thing that complete newbs like me (who have never used a laser cutter and have never even seen a cad program in real life) can do to help, then please let us know!