Glowforge vs CNC Laser Cutter/Etcher

That is neither adding or subtracting. Only compressing.

Then what’s the puddle on the floor in the entryway under the boots? :thinking: :grin::penguin:

1 Like

Perhaps more diverged than changed. I’ve within the past 2 years experienced all those terms as common usage among international friends.

2 Likes

I’m curious why it would need to be on your network? (Not the “The Glowforge needs a network connection?..” question) I’m checking my assumption that machine access would be account managed on the Glowforge cloud side.

In a secure environment this device would not have a wifi it could connect to. A hospital is a covered entity under HIPAA so we have to have total data accountability so because of that all devices using wifi have to be tied to a specific ActiveDirectory account. Now we can request “pseudo-people” as an account, but that makes IT security very, very nervous on devices they don’t directly control (like wireless blood pressure monitors which they configure).

3 Likes

are you talking about remote usage like shown here?

You’re forgetting something… The Glowforge doesn’t require access to your network. Only the internet. As such, it can use the Guest Wireless at the hospital.

4 Likes

Yes - I was just curious as to why henryhbk would need it to be connected to the local network specifically, as opposed to the internet in general. I understand his answer - the HIPAA requirements are not technical requirements.

1 Like

That was my question, too - local network vs internet. It looks like the overall HIPAA policy/requirements at this institution prohibit this kind of device installation.

1 Like

He could always run it off a hotspot on his phone :slight_smile:

1 Like

And Dan have told that the amount of data used is not to big. :wink:

I worked in the pharmaceutical industry for almost a decade as a network engineer. Neither HIPAA nor the FDA have such guidelines. FDA 21CFR11 would cover this if it existed. But it doesn’t. There is no confidential data on a guest network and there is no way to get from a guest network to a production network (unless somebody did something really really really… outside of common sense). As such, a Glowforge is perfectly usable in such an environment without making any exceptions to existing SOP’s.

That said, I fail to see the practical use in a hospital.

How about making personalized name plaques for sick kids?
:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hospitals need coasters too. You don’t expect surgeons to put their drinks down on the bare operating table?

8 Likes

Surgical tool organizer.

2 Likes

wooden syringe disposal boxes, wooden “clean”/“dirty” bedpan magnets. puzzles for patients (for the boredom), little brooch/pin to keep the back of those gowns closed…:astonished:

3 Likes

The rules are probably more about the device than the means of connecting to the internet. They’re probably on the lookout for camera-equipped devices that could possibly be turned on remotely. Or microphones that could be turned on remotely. Or other devices that could potentially compromise patient privacy.

2 Likes

Not a hipaa rule specifically, but since hipaa makes the institution financially liable for any breaches (regardless of harm) IT security ears on the side of caution. We only have guest networks in patient care areas, but my lab has no guest network (because no guests in general and I am in a shared building with other non-hospital labs).

This isn’t a problem for me since my personal devices are fine on the secure wifi and if I was the only user of a glow forge (my actual glow forge is for my house so this is theoretical) would be on my account, but as a shared device no way would it be on my creds (and same reason not my hotspot, plus if someone else was printing and I walked out of the building…).

My 3D printers are on Ethernet which of course does not have accounts, so that’s fine. It’s not that I couldn’t eventually battle through to get this approved (I’ve done it) but requires CIO level sign off plus your department chair, and a business justification.

Also for folks asking why I need network access rather than “internet access” I’m not sure what that means? The only way to get to “the Internet” is via your network and out your router. At your house your edge router is usually the wifi base station as well. My local network goes out of my building via fiber over to the data center and out our 4gbs internet connection, about 1mi from my lab. Any large network is structured this way.

I think that is more about the distinction between connecting to the hostpital network (where your computer is probably connected) and the guest wifi network.

Since the Glowforge needs to go through the internet no matter what, it is unlike many other devices which demand being on the exact same network as the machine that is sending commands. You just need net access of any kind at all.

1 Like