Glowforge's Definition of Shipping

My issues are:

International orders still aren’t shipping.

The Air filter is not supposed to ship until December. I don’t believe they will send models internationally that should have an air filter - without it. Which means that any international orders with filters won’t be shipped until the air filters are ready, which probably means 2018 delivery - even if you are in the first 30 days.

This is just speculation of course, but I think it’s within reason.

I don’t see why they would wait around for air filters. We paid to have them shipped individually so it makes no difference if they go together.

2 Likes

We agree! I wonder if that causes a cataclysmic event to occur somewhere?

4 Likes

Yes but if you are trying to send out 10000 machines ASAP why don’t you just build continuously, know roughly how many will be available for dispatch tomorrow and email enough customers to get enough yeses to match? Then do roughly next day dispatch.

The reason seems to be they are still evolving the design and building small batches and each customer has to agree to the known defects in those batches. Or they have a cashflow problem. Or some other bizarre reason that means they have to redefine shipping to mean something no other company in the world uses.

It is just the same as when I bought my CNC router. It was built to order and then they shipped it. They didn’t tell me it was shipped until it actually was.

They said they would be updating the shipping weekly.
Perhaps the banner will return when they update the “shipping day”.

The banner came back for me when Dan rebannerated it, see Shipping update bar.

It is still there for me. Try a refresh.

It’s typical for a company to notify their customers of shipment via email. Saying “you should have received an email because we’re shipping” in no way conveys “we consider sending out emails to be sufficient action to claim that we’re shipping”.

If I order something from Amazon and it turns out the item is backordered, and I call them up to ask what’s going on, they might say “oh, we found out that that item is backordered, you should have received an email”. No intelligent person, fluent in English, would interpret that to mean “oh, I guess Amazon now classifies sending out emails as ‘shipping’”.

1 Like

My point is that they are building as quickly as they can. That may be slowed down by change orders, but not by getting confirmation from customers.

But they need to stay ahead of the manufacturing so that there are not delays between finishing QA/calibration and having UPS pick them up. When they send out a shipping email, they don’t know whether the person will respond quickly, or perhaps 29 days later.

It’s a process that takes a variable amount of time, and so they are giving it a 6 week window so they can deal with the rest of the logistics.

This is a false analogy. That was the process that company used. If they were “building to order” then it’s Not the same as what Glowforge is doing. Factories like Flex do not build to order, nor do they allow valuable production space and equipment to be idle without a good (likely paid-for) reason.

1 Like

Most people reply to the email within hours so you don’t need to allow six weeks. Just send out emails until you have enough for the next day’s output. If somebody doesn’t reply for two weeks it doesn’t matter, when they do you put them to the head of the queue and if you then have too many you push one of the later ones back a day.

I’m glad to think that they’re building as quickly as they can. However, in the real, outside-Glowforge world only one of these things counts as shipping. My point is it’s intentionally misleading to call “building” “shipping,” to call “QA/calibration” “shipping,” etc. It makes me wonder why they’re being intentionally misleading to use a completely non-standard definition of the word “shipping.” What are they trying to cover up?

I make and sell products on Etsy that sometimes have a 2-3 week lead time depending on material availability and my schedule. If I told someone who bought one that I was shipping it today, when what I’d really done was only go out to the workshop to make sure I had enough wood on hand and it was still a 2 week process of construction and finishing, I would be justifiably reamed.

4 Likes

If it isn’t being put onto a ship, it isn’t shipping.

So… no Glowforges have shipped.

Hour Lang Wedge iz Phun.

7 Likes

I am just wondering what are we all going to argue about after everyone has received their glowforge? We really need to start finding some new material or else this community will be a deadzone in a few weeks.

I’ll start some potential controversy:

Cilantro is absolutely delicious and should be used in more places.

8 Likes

When you say “cilantro,” that really means “rosemary,” right? :wink:

2 Likes

I am a fan of rosemary as well, but cilantro is life.

3 Likes

Cilantro tastes like soap to me and should be banned at all places.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/24/why-does-cilantro-taste-bad-like-soap_n_7653808.html

8 Likes

Provided they actually hit their deadline this time (and Im not sure why I would assume that they do) and people get what they paid for so long ago there wont be any reason to complain. Don’t mischaracterize the interactions of the forum. People aren’t coming here because its fun to harp on a company. They’re justifiably upset at repeated lapses by this company. I hope I get my laser when I’m supposed to and then I can actually do the things I planned to do so long ago.
Plus theres far more threads about various projects than there are voicing complaints anyways. I think the forum will be fine.

2 Likes

Well, first I’m going to ignore your implication that there’s anything wrong with tasting like soap, since I have rosemary soap and we can all agree that rosemary is a good thing.

Cilantro tastes like joy. Joy on tacos, or salsa, or whatever you’re eating.

(See? We can find lots of things to argue about. I feel better. This forum is going to be fine.)

7 Likes

Cilantro is called coriander here, so we don’t even agree what it is called. Picked some today to put in corn fritters my wife and I made. I like the taste but I can see why some people think it taste like soap. Everybody has a unique sense of taste unlike say hearing and vision.

4 Likes

Interesting! I always referred to the leafy plant as cilantro and the seed pods as coriander. Regardless, corn fritters sound wonderful.

5 Likes

Yes they are nice made with fresh ingredients straight from the garden. Used the last two ears of our corn. The plant stems are now acting as poles for the runner beans.

2 Likes