Glowforge's in Montana

My GF is off for repair and I have a couple orders that I have to fulfill in the meantime. Does anyone have a GF near Helena Montana they’d be willing to let me use, even for a fee?

Yes. I live in Philipsburg but it has to be done by Sunday evening

1 Like

You’re awesome! Thanks so much. I just added up my print times it’s probably around 4 hours-kind of long to hang out at someone’s house. I know a couple owners here in Helena that I reached out too that might let me bring their machines to my house for a couple of days. If I don’t hear back from them I’ll be in contact. I actually emailed my customers and offered a huge discount for waiting. I also ordered another laser machine-not glowforge. More of a production unit.

The time is problem besides I can pick your brain in the process. Either way if you are this way stop by and visit :sunglasses:

1 Like

So I actually have an offer to borrow a pro here in town which I can’t pass up. I’m super curious about the difference in print time. I would love to talk shop and I’ll invite you over to check out my shop if you’re ever in Helena. I’ll give you my email and we can converse there- birchswingwoodworks@gmail.com

Unless you’re using Full power and then adjust the speeds vs the Basic settings you have, you won’t see anything material in print time with the Pro. Because its Full power setting is more power than the Basic’s Full power, you can run a job faster than the Basic’s speed settings - the trouble is you have to dial in the settings unless you’re using PG and PG settings.

1 Like

So if my designs are edited to be engraved at full speed and power with my Basic glowforge, I’ll have to edit them by vaguely 20% lighter to have the same results on the Pro?

Correct.

1 Like

Not necessarily. Going lighter would effect the dot density which is probably an undesired result (if using dithering, or convert to dots).

I personally don’t think you’ll see a significant difference between how dark the engrave is at full speed/full power between the two machines.

1 Like

I never had a Basic tube (my PRU was a Pro tube - it was hot). But full/full on the Basic should be 40W delivered per unit of surface measurement/time unit. The Pro should be a bit more than the 12%ish power difference as the full power is less than 100% wattage to protect the lifespan. The 98% of 45 is a bit more than 12% more than 98% of 40.

Regardless, I expect it’s going to be material dependent.

1 Like

I agree :slight_smile: one could probably go to 100 precision power on the Pro and come out just about right, I would imagine. I definitely would not try to re-edit the image though to accommodate for the difference. That’s a whole other set of variables. Go with the image that works and adjust the power if necessary to fine tune the energy delivered.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.