Glowforge's Trace Functionality

Not sure if you knew, but the silhouette software has an offset feature as well.

This is a video with the older software, but it`s very similar in the new one too.

3 Likes

I grew curious about how trapped voids work as you get enough outset to eliminate them (in inkscape).

Turns out when you get big enough of an outset it WILL eliminate the internal voids. And that it is a complete (no memory) elimination.

So in @vagozsā€™s ā€œLoveā€ example, if you wanted a small outset like on the right, but without the internal voids, you can bring the size of the outset up to the level of the top one, then bring it back down to the size of the one on the right, but now with no voids.

2 Likes

Nice. So itā€™s kinda like dilate/erode in image processing?

1 Like

Not familiar with those. Soā€¦ sure? :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the rub with ā€œdo allā€ products; inevitably they wonā€™t do something.

Personally, Iā€™d be perfectly happy if the Glowforge software focused entirely on facilitating the operation of the machine. I hope it makes laying out designs accurate and fast and I hope it makes it easy to tell it which elements of an existing design I want to cut, which elements I want to engrave, and the parameters to use for each.

Iā€™ll do my designing with design software and Iā€™ll do my lasering with the laser software.

4 Likes

I think I follow. Youā€™re right, we donā€™t have that, and Iā€™ll put it in the hopper.

10 Likes

Sweet. I can see expanded outlines being used quite a bit. I know I will be =P.

2 Likes

I can see myself offset cutting things like stamp rubber and sticker sheets a lot, actually

I know I can use AI to upload an SVG file to the glowforge, but can the glowforge export scans as SVG files I can then port back to AI to clean up? Iā€™m currently trying to copy some of my old leather templates into forge files and havenā€™t been able to get far.

Iā€™m just an owner myself so I donā€™t about the future but no, not right now.
The in unit camera is cute and useful youā€™ll need a flatbed scanner for that.

Yeah I kinda figured. Shopping for a flatbed scanner now.

I found an Epson Perfection on Amazon to be reasonable, and has worked well for me.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the one I use. Itā€™s sitting right next to the GF.

1 Like

I also use my phone often to capture images that I want to use later on the Glowforge, like this leaf that I turned into matching earrings for my wife and daughter.

19 Likes

Ginko leaves are the coolest leaves going! Great work.

2 Likes