Glowforging My Fabric Scraps

Nope. I just focus on the material. Auto focus is your friend :slight_smile: mostly….

So glad you decided to share this in the GF Community - I follow you on Instagram and love seeing your sewing creations! I haven’t had much luck using fabric in my GF, but with the information you shared, I am now inspired to try again, so thank you! I look forward to seeing more updates/posts from you about this topic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:
I have more sewing projects coming up and so there will certainly be a continuation of this post. One of our sails also shredded and so I will be trying out sailcloth which should be fun.

I used your settings for dark denim on my dad’s pants (he had been asking me to lengthen them for a year, I finally did it and delivered in person).

They worked really well on darker denim, though this particular pair was a lighter weight, so without interfacing, it would’ve frayed. He had heavier weight denim that was so thick it didn’t require a fusible interfacing.

He also had a heavier weight light denim that didn’t really show any engrave when I tested it (slightly burnt yellow), but it cut fairly well. Though I ran out of fusible, so I didn’t want to try anything elaborate.

4 Likes

Invaluable information! Thank you for sharing your results! :innocent:

No problem! I finally got around to doing another one just now on protecting your engraved fabric :slight_smile: Always happy to share any of the information/lessons learned I accumulate.

2 Likes

I hate to sound dumb but what does the 700/7 setting mean? I am looking at my settings and wanted to verify
Speed?
Power?
Lines per inch I used 270 with 1 pass but I had really dim results when I tried to etch at less than 970 on a cotton artist smock - I am trying to etch a design that I will repaint on a demin jacket and am trying settings… Any feedback anyone?

Thanks in advance…

700 would be speed, 7 would be power.

If if you are engraving denim, results will vary depending on the fabric and color. I needed to put fusible interfacing behind my denim since I’m essentially burning away fabric and dye. So the light colored denim I tried before turned out a burnt brown, and the blue jeans had a nice light color, but frayed a bunch of threads.

I don’t exactly understand what you’re trying to do, but I would check out @MyDogsThinkImCrazy’s posts on fabric. She does many different varieties and shares her results and settings in the forum.

5 Likes

No problem! It is addressed in the original/starting post. It is the first bold line.

Do you have a photo of the results? What is the material weight? Has it been bleached? In general cotton is fun and all but not as practical. Polyester holds up much better.

I wash this jacket a lot and have no issue with fading or it falling apart. If you want the same results with cotton then I would interface it with a polyester material and use settings that blast through the cotton layer.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your replies – it helps! :slight_smile: I cannot wait to get into this next project. I will post some results if I ever get anything worthwhile. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you mean 7 power or 700? I tried a lower power with my white cotton smock and nothing appeared at all.

700 is the speed. 7 is the power for what she has listed up there. White cotton sounds like a tough one-no dyes to burn out and will need to be tweaked to show burn but not burn through. I don’t really work with fabrics, but @MyDogsThinkImCrazy gave awesome advice.

If it’s a natural cotton, I believe there is a post on a canvas tote bag that showed good results. Here is a link to the settings. You’ll have to go to the top to see the picture though, the settings were shared very far down on the post:

3 Likes

The settings format is

So yes, 700/7 in the format of speed/power would have 700 as the speed and 7 as the power.

So you have a photo of the setup you are doing? Of how you have it set up in the bed of the glowforge? A photo is much more helpful then an explanation.

1 Like